bought a "parts quad" and am wondering what to do with it

reagor

May 23, 2012
nj
www.google.com
so i picked up a 1stgen blaster (idk the year) for $200

it had the cylinder and head off and the piston was missing half the skirt

the head doesnt have any damage and the cylinder and bottom end have surface rust

i soaked the bottom end in atf and worked it back and forth and she freed right up and rotates freely...kickstarter will move everything and all the gears in the trans work (kickstarter spins output shaft), i turned it upside down and shook it no rattles or piston parts fell out

so i know i got a descent bottom end and trans

do you guys think a quick cleanup and rebore the cylinder and throw in a piston and she should be good to run? or because of the bottom end being exposed it should be torn down and rebuilt from the bottom up, throw a stroker kit into it (if it needds a crank why not), maybe a bigbore

i was also thinking of parting out the rollingframe to try and make some $$ back

the bike has all stock suspension and everything appears to be strait

the tires are worn to sh*t and it had 18" rears and 21"fronts that look like it died doing donuts on asphalt

hell even the rear cable brake has a working caliper(when i pull the cable)

my only other thought is to swap in a china made 4stroke electric start (whatever i can find cheap) and make it a loaner/trailbeater

so what does BF recommend?
does BF need stock parts? its got good aarms, good steering stem, crappy nerf bars, white plastics, drilled af lid, 250main in the carb, strait axle, beatup sprockets, and a blue/black seat with a little tear

What kind of crappy nerfs , I want Pics ! But Welcome , I Would Check interest in here to see if you want to part out or sell roller or what not , With the motor i would put new bearings and seals in to be safe , then do top !

What kind of crappy nerfs , I want Pics ! But Welcome , I Would Check interest in here to see if you want to part out or sell roller or what not , With the motor i would put new bearings and seals in to be safe , then do top !

ill get ya some pics tonight...idk the brand and some a$$h0l3 razorbladed the driverside nets otherwise they would be a step above crappy and id call em used

i cant find a name on em anywhere so your guess is as good as mine

for the partout i need to get my post count up i cannot post in FOR SALE

Well do your thing on here read and post , ask questions , allot of people here like to help out ! I want a set of nerfs thats why i asked haha , Get your post count up or Pay For the Membership , If i had a pay pal i would go Premium member !

ill get ya some pics tonight...idk the brand and some a$$h0l3 razorbladed the driverside nets otherwise they would be a step above crappy and id call em used

i cant find a name on em anywhere so your guess is as good as mine

for the partout i need to get my post count up i cannot post in FOR SALE

Or you could pay your YEARLY membership donation of $10 and post in the classifieds. That rule is there to protect our community. We don't want some joker coming on here scamming people. If they've either paid $10 for the year or have 300 posts, you know they're at least SOMEWHAT legitimate.

If you decide to rebuild that engine, it may be a smart move to go ahead and split the cases. Crank bearings DO NOT like being exposed to the weather and with half a skirt missing it's possible that you have a broken case. The case can be repaired and the crank bearings replaced for relatively little money but ruining a good bore and new piston because the bearings were bad of case was broken is going to add considerably to the sting....

Or you could pay your YEARLY membership donation of $10 and post in the classifieds. That rule is there to protect our community. We don't want some joker coming on here scamming people. If they've either paid $10 for the year or have 300 posts, you know they're at least SOMEWHAT legitimate.

If you decide to rebuild that engine, it may be a smart move to go ahead and split the cases. Crank bearings DO NOT like being exposed to the weather and with half a skirt missing it's possible that you have a broken case. The case can be repaired and the crank bearings replaced for relatively little money but ruining a good bore and new piston because the bearings were bad of case was broken is going to add considerably to the sting....

if i split the cases do you think the crank/rod would still be usable after the surface rust is cleaned off or would i need to replace/rebalance them

if i split the cases do you think the crank/rod would still be usable after the surface rust is cleaned off or would i need to replace/rebalance them

It's POSSIBLE that the crank can be salvaged. You'll have to THOROUGHLY check it out. Light surface rust on the crank throws can be cleaned and won't affect the balance of the crank throws. The bearing and thrust washers will have to be checked out to make sure the piston didn't damage them.

I might be interested in that stem and the white plastics if they're in good shape.

they are cut where the heel-guards mount otherwise the are 3/5 quality with some pipe melt in spots

If you decide not to work on or fix the engine. Im interested in the engine and carb

ill keep ya posted i might have a blaster for trade for my dirtbike, if i get that then the white one will be available

speedmon17; said:
Where are the pics
im a lazy SOB and havent taken any yet, if this forum had a mobile interface i would have done it but i have to email them to myself from my phone and use a computer to u/l them...android just doesnt like the upload interface

ez756.jpg

DQG7u.jpg

GJz39.jpg

EUwLq.jpg

ZV9bZ.jpg

1o9Vr.jpg

V7jbQ.jpg

rGeTy.jpg

XsUsX.jpg

I want the rear brake caliper and cable. Also be interetsed in the nerfs for the right price. Send me a PM with prices shipped to ohio.