bogging at operating temp

edgeslade

Nov 15, 2009
asheville,nc
just rebuilt topend, jets 260 and stock, clip in middle grove on needle, all stock except moose air filter and v force3 reeds, tors removed, it cranks first kick and act fine untill i start riding it and it reaches operating temp, then it starts bogging real bad, ive changed plug, didnt help, running klotz at 32:1:-/

The vito's jet kit designed for no air box lid starts at a 290 and works up from there. So it sounds like you're already on the lean side (maybe not for asheville altitude but only plug chops will tell for sure)

Also, you just pulled the top end off, did you do a leak test on it to make sure it's not a leak causing the bogging?

The vito's jet kit designed for no air box lid starts at a 290 and works up from there. So it sounds like you're already on the lean side (maybe not for asheville altitude but only plug chops will tell for sure)

Also, you just pulled the top end off, did you do a leak test on it to make sure it's not a leak causing the bogging?

it was doing samething before i did topend, at one time it was running fine how i have it set up

where is it bogging, low end, top end, all around? does it bog down low and clear up when you get to higher rpms? Try pulling the choke, does it get better? worse? Usually bogging mean that you are jetted to rich, but when the air box removed I would think you should be close, unless it is really really hot and humid.

Hmmmm, you've already gotten opinions both directions, lol. But frankly my gut says it needs more fuel, especially with no lid. That said, you stated that it used to run fine with this setup, indicating something unseen has changed. My suggestion is do both a leakdown test, crank seals go bad, AND consider a little more jet for safety sake. Both conditions lean you out.

Why did you need to do a topend? Normal wear or seize?

i did topend because the rings were locking in piston groves on exhaust side of piston,i had lost a bolt on jug where exhaust port is, also head was warped all that has been fixed, and yea its been in the 90s and humid up here, it bogs in mid and high range, pulling choke makes it worse, pulled plug out and its black

Well, that certainly sounds like it wants to be leaner then (smaller main). Warmer air is less dense and therefore requires less fuel for a good mixture. You might first try raising the clip on the needle to the second groove from the top. Fresh plug too, of course.

ok, i changed back to stock jet 230, seemed to help alittle bit, plug is still black, needle is still in middle grove, i have sprayed wd40 everywhere no change in rev sometimes it bogs at topend ans sometimes it dosent,, what the h#$ll is going on?also im running br8 ngk plug, this is driving me nuts!!!!

The plug should be fine. This is starting to sound like a fuel delivery problem. Sometimes it bogs and sometimes it doesn't.

Float level. Water in tank. Partially clogged petcock. Crap in carb. I know you have probably checked some of these already but it's time to do it again. When checking for water, drain a bunch of gas from the tank (through the petcock, turned to reserve) into a clear glass jar and wait a few minutes. If anything settles out like globules on the bottom, that is water.

Last edited:
A leaky cank case seal would(could) give symptoms of what you describe. As far as the black plug goes....32:1 always smothers my plugs.