Bogging and feels powerless

Muddytoy

Oct 25, 2010
Hey guys, I am a 4 stroke guy sorry, but I picked up a blaster for the wife and want to make it move. It has Power Reeds in it as i pulled the Reeds, Carb, Exhaust off today and everything looks good, but I still have like no power, Put in a new plug, and nothing. I can't figure it out. Anything to look for would be great, I am not sure the year of the quad, but i am gonna say like mid to late 90s.

compression test. that will give you more of a clue. sould be over 100 more like 125. if not it is time for a top end rebuild

also tear the carb bowl off and check the jetting wrong jetting can make it too lean which makes it see like it has some power but over heats and kills the engine and to rich will bog it out and foul up some plugs. do that and check your compression for sure

well il tell you that your deff lean

Agreed at least go up to 250 to start...

good idea but a small typical intake leak wont make it feel like it has no power itll just make the rev hang forever. do a leakdown since you took the intake off check the jetting and maybe do a good carb clean while u have it apart and off

I was just sayin since he had it off.. I agree with a complete carb cleaning-very important...

yeah thats the stock jet size.. and for the airbox off you should move up a couple sizes the dg probably a couple more but those are much different than stock.. read up on plug chops and how to jet

probably need a couple sizes up on the main, but you need to do a compression check on it for sure to check to make sure that the top end is in good health

I did do a carb cleaning cause it was running out the overflow, the head pipe is still the stock pipe so with the lid off and the DG rear sil. i need bigger jet? Even when the lid was on it didnt run right so.

yeah there was dirt in there and it was sticking, no problems after I cleaned it but still not running right.

I did do a carb cleaning cause it was running out the overflow, the head pipe is still the stock pipe so with the lid off and the DG rear sil. i need bigger jet? Even when the lid was on it didnt run right so.

anytime you make more air flow in or out of the motor you need to check your jeting

anytime you make more air flow in or out of the motor you need to check your jeting

or less air flow... or change altitude or change of weather. or the blaster changes its mind for you... always a good idea to do random plug chops and plan on adjusting the jetting as the temperature changes or if you are riding somewhere with a different altitude