Blaster Wont start, has spark, fuel, compression help!

Dthbypsi

Oct 14, 2010
guys im at a little bit of a loss why my blaster wont start! i got it with headstuds that were pulled out from being overtightend, and it hadn't been touched in years. the cylinder i could see the hone marks still so i just replaced the headstuds with CR500 headstuds, threw a new gasket kit in, rebuilt the carb (it was one of the dirtiest I've ever seen) fresh plug, airfilter, oil in the tank, deleted the tors. all the normal stuff. it started 1st kick after putting it all back together. i prolly put about 5hrs on it and it started acting odd. it starting revving a bit high on its own one time, and i shut it off. i adjusted the air screw started it back up, it was hard starting but idled normal. i then shut it off. when to start it and nothing! I've done the following.

compression test -142lbs
checked reeds (they hang maybe 1-2mm open) should they be replaced?
checked for spark- ohmed stator and its good
New plug
clean air filter
fresh gas
checked for broken woodruff key
replaced older rusty flywheel with different one (brand new spare stator i had was DOA, just annoying when new things are bad!)
its getting gas the plug is wet.

my initial though was the new larger headstuds pulled out, but at 142lbs of compression there is no way its a top end issue. the spark is bright blue. I've checked grounds on the frame as well. put gas on the plug and it wont even sputter. could it be a carb issue even tho its getting gas? possibly from sitting so long stuff in the gas tank finally loosened up? the only thing i have not done is re-checked the float and level (i set it initially when i rebuilt the carb) it is just a stock blaster with the airbox lid removed stock pipe and dg silencer, i cant say i would choose this but it is what it is lol. ps the blaster came as a freebee from a fellow who was moving and couldn't take it with him. score!

anyone have any idea if it has happened to them before?

Last edited:
what year is it?
sounds like a airleak.....did summin crack on cylinder

did you check for free flowing of gas from tank,and or it might be flooded..

take carb apart and clean it again soaking pilot/main jet in a cup of carb cleaner..ect

Last edited:
i did not leak test it only because I ran out of time. I have a sneaking suspicion its the reeds, they all look like they are slightly stuck open, which I know will cause havoc on starting easily. its a 1993, but its one of those rare I never rode it cases and it spent most of its life in a garage sitting around. I really don't think I cracked anything on the cylinder. it kicks over exactly how it was previously, everything "sounds" fine. I will pressure test it. should hold around 7psi or so at least for a minute or two correct?

fuel flows fine.

when you say flooded, do you think it could be flooded in the bottom end? I have heard of this condition happening and its havoc again to get it started. I have searched and searched before I posted, and shortly after I posted this I thought about a leakdown and new reeds. on a side note....anyone ever get a DOA ricky stator?

I doubt it has anything to do with the reeds. You didn't mention anything about setting the float height
(wet spark plug),or if you left the choke on too long when trying to start it.

" the only thing i have not done is re-checked the float and level (i set it initially when i rebuilt the carb)" I set it to 20mm when I rebuilt the carb, and have not re-checked it since the start of my problem I cant see the float height changing that quickly. also said the plug is wet, after I changed the plug.

i did not leak test it only because I ran out of time. I have a sneaking suspicion its the reeds, they all look like they are slightly stuck open, which I know will cause havoc on starting easily. its a 1993, but its one of those rare I never rode it cases and it spent most of its life in a garage sitting around. I really don't think I cracked anything on the cylinder. it kicks over exactly how it was previously, everything "sounds" fine. I will pressure test it. should hold around 7psi or so at least for a minute or two correct?

fuel flows fine.

when you say flooded, do you think it could be flooded in the bottom end? I have heard of this condition happening and its havoc again to get it started. I have searched and searched before I posted, and shortly after I posted this I thought about a leakdown and new reeds. on a side note....anyone ever get a DOA ricky stator?

get new reeds
new b8es plugs.
7 psi. for at least 5 minutes with no more than 1 psi of loss, none preferably.
flooded bottom end.....pull pipe, fuel off, drain carb, throttle wide opn and kivck till your leg hurts to try and purge bottom end
and yes, lots of DOA ricky stators

Turn the gas off and drain the gas out of the carb. Put a new plug in it and try to start it. If it tries to start or actually starts, the bottom end is flooded.

Another way to do it is to remove the pipe and reed cage, turn the crank to BDC and leave it for a day or 2. It'll evaporate and leave a trace of oil.

If it ran and then didn't, I'm gonna go with Blaaster on this one. Leak test it.

Im gonna try to work on it this weekend. Thanks for the ideas guys . Frustrating little quad it is lol. My other 3 blasters never even gave me a hiccup. And now i kick myself for selling my 240 stroker.