Blaster wont start after rebuild

Rideordie

Apr 19, 2014
So I posted a while back because I was having issues. Ended up putting a top end rebuild kit in. After that it started right up in two kicks. I changed the oil, and drove around for a bit to break it in some. Went to take it out for an actual ride and all of the sudden it wont start. The plug was BLACK. I presume from all the assembly oil etc mostly. I put a new plug in it and it feels like it wants to kick over but it wont. The plug looks good and wet and a couple kicks. What gives?

If you have spark, you have possibly flooded it.

Read up on heat cycling and break in procedures , riding it around is not a great way to start a break in!

Did you leak test before you started the engine?

Sorry I'm starting to get really irritated and not thinking straight. It doesnt have spark. Which is frustrating because this is how this all started. New plug, coil, wire, stator...I moreless did heatcycle it up to this point. Partial throttle for 5 or 10 mins, shut it off let it cool, repeat. Was going to actually go riding this time and now it wont start..and no I did not do a leak down test.

Your first port of call should be a leak test, re-built engines are notorious for leaking especially around the reed/carb area.

Heat cycle, then re tighten the head and cylinder nuts to specs.

Was the cylinder base gasket a green/blue paper one, if so they are bad news.

Is there any spark when a new plug is held against the engine and the engine kicked over.

Have you checked the grounds.

Could the flywheel have spun?

Your first port of call should be a leak test, re-built engines are notorious for leaking especially around the reed/carb area.

Heat cycle, then re tighten the head and cylinder nuts to specs.

Was the cylinder base gasket a green/blue paper one, if so they are bad news.

Is there any spark when a new plug is held against the engine and the engine kicked over.

Have you checked the grounds.

Could the flywheel have spun?
I have not checked grounds since this. They seemed ok previously when I was having issues before. I guess the flywheel could have spun but it seems weird for it to just randomly occur. I used a wiseco kit - I dont remember what kind of gasket it was to be honest. I did double check after a few heat cycles that the bolts were still torqued. There is no spark at all with a brand new plug against the engine. I dont understand what couldve happened so all of the sudden, especially with everything being new.

With the taking on and off of the plug boot, the wire often breaks inside the boot.

Unscrew the plug boot and cut 1/2" off the HT wire and re-fit the boot.

Double check all the connectors, things do and can fall out, come unplugged.

Still no luck. The end of the wire in the wire is supposed to be flush at the end right? Then the plug screws onto it?

What kind of stator did you put on it? Lots of aftermarket ones are junk
to be honest I really dont remember what brand it was at this point. I just don't understand. It worked and then all of the sudden later the same day there's no spark at all?

Time to break out the ohm meter and start checking everything , starting with the stator. That's how those stators go, work one minute, not the next

I tested the stator wires. Not getting ANY ohm reading on either wire. Am I missing something or is the stator just shot?

Are you sure your meter is working right or that your using it correctly, no offense just gotta ask

No offense taken. Tried 2 different meters. Set to 2k ohms. All wires disconnected and according to the above tests. It doesnt read at all on either meter on either set of wires. Surely it would read something even if it were faulty though right?

No offense taken. Tried 2 different meters. Set to 2k ohms. All wires disconnected and according to the above tests. It doesnt read at all on either meter on either set of wires. Surely it would read something even if it were faulty though right?

is it reading infinite or zero ohms ?
time to open it up and remove the flywheel to see just what is going on with that stator

Just checkin, lots of the meters I've had you have to switch where the wires plug in to read ohms. Should read zero if you touch the 2 ends together (if u don't know)