Blaster will only start with exhaust disconnected!

joelshas

Mar 15, 2009
So I got this ole' Blaster off a guy with the intent of just having something to beat around on the weekends. Worked great for about one weekend. Then I started having trouble starting it. I spent about a day and a half taking it all apart and putting it back together and noticed that I could get it to run nice and strong with the exhaust disconnected but when I connected the pipe it wouldn't start anymore (didn't even sound like it wanted to start). I have spark, fuel and air (or so I think). I am running a 32:1 mix. The guy a bought it from was running 16:1 because he had just redone the top end. So as soon as that tank full was gone I filled it with the 32:1. It was was for a few hours until I started having some starting issues. Initially I though I had just fouled a plug so I replaced it and bought a handfull of plugs in case it happened again. No luck with the new plug(s).

Weird tho, as soon as I take the ex. pipe off and kick it one good time I get a nice rich blomp, blomp then I gas it a lil and it revs right up. What could the problem be. Also noticed fuel in the exhaust pipe (just a little bit).

Any help would be great. These Blasters a real fun.

the first thing i would think of is something is blocking your exhaust. do you store your blaster outside at all? mice are know in crawl in there and make a nest. is it the stock pipe. if it is the stock baffels could have broke down, and blocked the pipe.

I am going to second the fact that the pipe is going to be blocked. cant think of anything else that it would be.

And the guy that you bought your quad from is an idiot to run 16:1 even after a rebuild. You should run whatever mixture of fuel you are going to run after the rebuild for the break in stage. So if you plan on running 32:1 after brake in you should run it during as well.

I don't know if the pipe is stock or not. I am a complete noob when it comes to power sports in general.

I will post a pic of this bike.

So there is no way that the air/fuel mix is off or that the spark plug gap is wrong? Hmm. I'm gonna run a coat hanger thru the pipe.

Here is the exhaust and some more info.

The bike won't start with the the pipe on at all. The silencer doesn't make a difference since as soon as the pipe is on the bike won't start regardless if the silencer is connected. When I shake the pipe there is no rattling, so there can't be anything broken/loose. My 2 cycle motor noobyness is making me think that it is related to a lack of spark plus a bad fuel air ratio. Maybe the spark just isn't strong enough to get good ignition to overcome the back pressure presented by the pipe (just a shot in the dark). Also the fuel is somewhere between 32:1 and 16:1. Could too much oil also make it hesitate to ignite? I used 89 octane if that helps at all...

Here is a pic of what was on the bike.

I don't know if the pipe is stock or not. I am a complete noob when it comes to power sports in general.

I will post a pic of this bike.

So there is no way that the air/fuel mix is off or that the spark plug gap is wrong? Hmm. I'm gonna run a coat hanger thru the pipe.

Looks like a DG silencer and maybe a DG pipe. Either way stock or DG they are not every good pipes.

As far as the gas, I would drain out the gas and start over...

Get fresh gas, the highest octane you can get from the pump, 91 or 93 and get a ratio rite cup and mix your oil 31:1.

Then clean your carb really well and replace the spark plug. After that start your bike and see how well it runs.

i think it is a full dg, the expansion chamber looks big to be stock? look in there, check the spark plug gap, i did have problems from my plug one time because of the gap, well the sports store i bought it off of gapped it way too big so when i went and got another they gapped it right and i checked it to the other plug and the gap diff was phenomenal, also don't go over 1 1/2 on the air screw is the plug wet? dry? the color of the tip?

make sure you are using the correct plugs as well, Ngk .032 gap. there are other supplement plugs but are not recommended as much. also, this may be a long shot, but where you connect the exhaust to the engine cylinder jug, there is a circular aluminum gasket that the exhaust is supposed to fit inside of. double check that it IS there, if it isn't, you might be shoving the exhaust into the cylinder. NOT GOOD, which would explain exactly why it doesn't seem like it even wants to turn over at all with the pipe on. cuz honestly this doesn't make sense that it won't start with the pipe on silencer or no silencer, if anything pipe wise was blocking flow, that would be in the silencer part, so saying it won;t start with just the header pipe and no silencer, baffles me completely. check that exhaust, if you need i can post a picture. good luck, let us know I:I

First off I really appreciate the responses! The picture is indeed crappy, it was taken with my phone. Charging my 5MP cam right now.

The plug was wet but black (as if it had been fouled). So I might need a new one. I understand it is supposed to be tan. The current plug is an NGK B9ES (manual said B8E but this is what it had in it when the dude sold her to me so i figr'd I'd use the same one).

Just about every non-start question I have seen here gets a "Clean your carb" response so I would definitely like to clean mine. How do I go about that? I had the carb apart this morning and it looked really clean to my untrained eye. So am assuming the big slotted screw is for adjusting fuel/air mix right? What about the carburetor cap- Do I need to adjust it?

heres what I would do i would drain the gas, mix new gas get a new plug and check and make sure you got spark, put the exhaust back on and make sure that gaskets there then check out ur carb and clean it out and maybe even check the jets in it cuz if its to rich sometimes things are hard to start also check and make sure ur filter is clean as well