Blaster update! and very abnormal idle

cap9709

Aug 20, 2012
Kansas
Finally today fixed the gas leak and little air leaks and she runs like a champ but idle is a little wacky. It smokes a decent amount not terrible but I'm kind of new to 2 strokes it could be totally fine but not sure. At idle it is ok for the first 20 seconds then will slowly idle down and die. I have no idea what it could be???

Carb clean, air screw 1.5 turns, height 21mm, compression no idea, air filter could be dirty. Yes tested and fixed the leaks

check gas cap for ventilation,unscrew it a lil,compression tester 30$ auto parts store,soak pilot jet in carb cleaner you need to take it out.take lid off to see if its breathing properly,new br8es spark plug fresh gas, reeds need to be fully closed and no cracks,Exhaust restricted,bad crank bearings and the list goes on :)

The current air filter is not stock its some AEM one that attaches straight to the carby and is only about 4" long by 2" diameter

Whoops read your question wrong lol AEM meaning aftermarket. It was a name brand I'm just drawing a blank and not with the bike at the moment.

filters connected directly to the carb are known to cause jetting headaches, especially idle
should have at least a 4-6" velocity tube between it and the carb, to allow the air to straighten out before entering the carb and over the jats

tenth digit on frame is year by the foot shifter.its easy to tell if its a 03 first year with front disc and redesigned nose headlight.

Would you recommend going back to stock? And definitely not an 03 then, no discs up front.

Stock airbox setup ?
Yes,
you have no other mods that would require anything but the stock setup