Blaster takes 20 kicks to start

kcroatti

Nov 21, 2016
Picked up my blaster engine from a bottom end rebuild and after installing it in the bike I am having a lot of trouble getting the bike started. Bike will start after 15-20 kicks. Before I took the bike in it would start first kick every time without fail. Any advice to what the problem may be? Carb was recently cleaned and i just put in a new spark plug. Thanks

lots of good info on the sight search through.
who did bottom end work?
what year is your blaster?
compression test?
leak test?
you took the pilot jet completely out of carb and soaked it in carb cleaner?
answer those first :)

where you live??? is it cold out? when i had my blaster last year i would run it around the yard and then put it away and it was proby like 30 degress out and a couple days inbetween riding and i had to kick it a million times to get it to run....

float height ?
airscrew turns ? 1.5 to start
reed petals good ?
using the choke ?

lots of good info on the sight search through.
who did bottom end work?
what year is your blaster?
compression test?
leak test?
you took the pilot jet completely out of carb and soaked it in carb cleaner?
answer those first :)
Thanks for the quick reply, I had the bottom end redone at Master Cycle works in Pompano FL, I may be taking it back in because it is a lot harder to change the gears on the bike when I do get it running. The blaster is a 2006. I have called all of the auto parts store in area but none seem to have a compression or leak down tester I can rent o_O However just doing the finger test the bike pushes my finger out no problem. In regards to the carb it was taken completely apart and soaked + cleaned throughly, I dont think fuel is the issue as when i remove the spark plug the bottom is wet.

where you live??? is it cold out? when i had my blaster last year i would run it around the yard and then put it away and it was proby like 30 degress out and a couple days inbetween riding and i had to kick it a million times to get it to run....
Im in South Florida where its 80 degrees right now so temperature isn't an issue

Is it possible the bike could have shredded the woodruff key throwing off timing? You've said the carb is clean. Move on to the next option.

3 things a motor needs to run. Spark, fuel, compression. Check up on the flywheel and get back to us.

My coils were going bad one time took a hundred kicks to start it ,new coils it would start every time first kick

Same with me. My Blaster became really hard to start. Found out the coil in my stator was going bad. Replaced that and started first kick.