blaster starts hard and wont rev out! help

braaaap

Dec 19, 2011
hey i have a 2001 blaster bored 50 over, and has boysen reeds, i got it off a friend not running. i got it to start but it takes forever to get started and backfires, then when it finally starts it wont rev out at all and runs sh*tty. i tried the basic things like new plug checked spark and has good spark, cleaned the sh*t out of the carb, checked float height, and even got some differnt jets to try out because i have read that if its bored and has aftermarket reeds that it should be re jeted. the air screw is set at 1.5 turns out, and its jetted to 250. and i cant figure out why its doing this.. if anyone has ideas that would be great haha.

How do the reeds look?
Also, try Pulling the air filter out and leaving the box lid off, try it, any different???
Also, might want to try disconnecting TORS?

One of these, my $.02...

i took air filter lid off and still no difference, and tried the tors also. still hard to start and wont rev out

yeah still the same, it actualy doesnt have a filter on it, could that be the problem?

Before you start pulling your hair trying to find what's wrong, do a compression check to get a basic idea of the condition of the motor.

yeah they are boysen reeds. the cage and the petals look fine to me. what should i be looking for on them? and it has alot of compression its supposedly been rebuilt not to long ago.

Agree I Would do a full double check on the disconnect of TORS, just to be sure.

As far as reeds assure no damage, reed dislodged from mount, flush sitting on cage intake, etc.
Leak down test might be next, could be an air leak around intake, etc.

I'm stumped, do you have another reed cage you can try?
Or any carb cleaner or starting fluid? Start bike, if it idles spray some starting fluid around the carb intake see if idle jumps, if so air leak.

hmmmmm.... :-/
You sure those jets look good and clean??

I'm stumped, do you have another reed cage you can try?
Or any carb cleaner or starting fluid? Start bike, if it idles spray some starting fluid around the carb intake see if idle jumps, if so air leak.

hmmmmm.... :-/
You sure those jets look good and clean??

Nice looking blaster btw, head looks sweet