Blaster spring in the 400EX shock

ereksonj

Feb 18, 2013
Ogden, UT
www.youtube.com
I am a light guy and wanted a softer spring in my 400EX shock. So I decided to try and install the stock blaster spring in the EX shock to see if I could soften it a little. I was able to install it and it turns out the blaster spring is a little softer... to figure this out, I set the 400EX spring to its lowest ride height that still had a little compression on the spring. Then I stood on the grab bar and measured the ride height to see how much my weight compressed it. Then I did the same with the blaster spring in it. The blaster spring allowed it to settle 3/4" lower than the 400EX spring. (they both had the same ride height before my body weight was added to the grab bar).

I am pretty sure the stock blaster spring is a dual-rate spring... The reason I say this is because the section where the coils are closer together is easier to compress with my hands than the other section of the spring. It's a pretty significant difference.

As far as I can tell, the springs are almost identical in dimensions. The blaster spring might be a couple millimeters longer, but not by much (It was a little tighter fit when installing in the 400EX shock). While I had them both out, I took some photos:

Same Height:
WP_001297_zps3fb6617a.jpg

Same diameter:
WP_001299_zps9d828330.jpg

WP_001298_zps24db6221.jpg

Removing the spring from the blaster shock wasn't too difficult. on the top of the shock there is a little spring clip that sits in a groove (similar to a piston ring) that holds the spring in place. All that needs to be done is to adjust the spring to it's softest setting. after this, the spring needs to be compressed - it doesn't take very much. with the spring compressed, you can remove the ring at the top of the shock. Then decompress the spring and remove the part at the bottom that holds the spring. After that, your spring just slides off.

In this picture, you can see the ring and you can see the groove that it fits in on the shock body: (pictured with 400EX spring)
WP_001300_zps9681cecc.jpg

Here is what the bottom of the shock looks like:
WP_001301_zps81267124.jpg

Removing the 400EX spring from it's shock was much easier. you do not need to compress the spring at all to remove it. I didn't even uninstall the shock to swap the spring. Just set the quad on something to get the rear wheels off the ground and take the lower pin out. Then adjust the spring to it's softest setting. You should be able to get it soft enough that the spring is loose on the shock. Once you're here, you can remove the two half circle supports from the bottom of the shock and then the spring will slide right off. You can change the spring on the 400EX shock in a matter of minutes.

Here is my blaster spring on the 400EX shock installed in the quad:
WP_001302_zpsf770e70e.jpg

Last edited:
nice job !
have some reps for sharing
the blaster spring is "progressive wound"
very similar to dual rate, but not exactly.
the dual and triple springs allow for varying springs to be used for different applications/rider weight.

this progressive spring has a set initial and final rate.
but still better than the single rate spring of the original 400ex spring.
this looks to be a good mod/upgrade.

lets hear a ride report

nice job !
have some reps for sharing
the blaster spring is "progressive wound"
very similar to dual rate, but not exactly.
the dual and triple springs allow for varying springs to be used for different applications/rider weight.

this progressive spring has a set initial and final rate.
but still better than the single rate spring of the original 400ex spring.
this looks to be a good mod/upgrade.

lets hear a ride report

Thanks for the reps! and I appreciate the clarification between dual rate and progressive wound. I didn't realize the difference, but this makes sense.

I want to get out riding really bad. I've got finals coming up and I know I won't have time until like the second week in December. I just hope the weather allows one last ride for the year after I start my Christmas break. I'll probably take both springs if I do to get a really good comparison (they swap out in < 5 minutes).

The biggest reason I did the swap is to lower the ride height a little. The softer section of the spring allows this, and the fact that it is a progressive wound spring is just a bonus.

I'm excited to get it out. I haven't even ridden it since it had all stock suspension lol. Now it's got banshee fronts and the rear mod, and I've flipped the front wheels. On top of that, I was running the tires with way too much pressure. they had like 10 psi. Now its more like 3 psi. It'll feel way different.

I just wish there were some closer places to ride. The closest real riding place is about 100 miles away.

Any update on how this worked out? I am about to put a 400ex shock on and am wondering if the stock spring on the ex shock would be better.

Any update on how this worked out? I am about to put a 400ex shock on and am wondering if the stock spring on the ex shock would be better.
sorry, I joined the US Air Force and I have been in Basic Training. I'm im going to tech school I i won't see the blaster until May.

That said, its a pretty easy mod to do, and the stock spring is designed for the blaster whereas the 400ex spring was not. I think it's worth the time to try it out and experiment.

Not sure. Tried it with my 450 shock but the blaster spring wouldn't slide over the lower part of the shock. So, that being said, I have a yellow blaster spring here not being used.

Was just wondering. Never could find and hard proof about the spring rates and whether the stock blaster is "actually" progressive or not. My bushing for my 400ex shock should be in tomorrow and I'd like to switch the springs while they are off... that's if it's actually worth it.

I guess you will be our guinea pig:D. I plan on doing this in the spring, but all my riding has been on roads so far, so I won't be a good judge. If it doesn't work out its a fairly easy swap

So being as the blaster doesn't have linkage, It would be better to swap out it's spring with the Blasters??? Someone please test. I will test but it would be a while before I could.

Ok. So i found a little info from who i might consider a credible source. Found a Eibach spring chart that shows stock rates.

Shows a stock blaster runs 5.0kg-7.5kg/mm. And shows a stock trx400 at 5.7kg/mm(sometimes 5.8 year dependant)
And this depends on their accuracy and how they manipulate their numbers.

But in the end, i still have no idea how it translates into ridability, hah.
I think i attached the pdf

But in the end I'll put the blaster spring on when i do the switch. Couldn't hurt.

Attachments

• ems-catalog.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 359
There is at least up to half inch difference between the honda spring and yamaha spring if I remember correctly. I tore my blaster shock apart to try it but like I said above, the blaster spring won't go on a 450 honda shock. The 400 must be narrower on the lower mount than the 450. So if anyone needs a spring and has a 400 shock and wants to try, let me know. I know it was a pain to take the blaster shock apart. I destroyed mine. Threw the shock body out and kept the spring.