Blaster smokes, what's wrong?

pilcherdustin

Feb 23, 2015
I have a 2004 blaster that I bought 2 weeks ago. It was blowing quite a bit of smoke when I bought it but the guy said it was newly rebuilt and he was mixing the oil a little rich. Since then I have ridden it probably about 12 hours and I am using yama lube 2 stroke oil mixing it 32:1. It still smokes when I crank it, sometimes the smoke eases up after it gets warm. But if I push it kind of hard it will just start smoking again. It smokes a lot but it still cranks first kick everytime. Are the rings shot or do I need to mix oil differently or is my main jet to big?

Last edited:
Crank seals or seals in general. That's what I am dealing with at the moment. Burning oil. Thats my guess.

Does the exhaust smell like transmission oil? Also have you noticed that it's consuming trans oil? Plus it would be smart to leak test

Hate to burst the bubble, this will be deleted once a mod sees it. Rules are a helmet must be worn in videos and action pictures.

Reactions: blasterbrian
See if it's burning Trans oil. A leak test could also tell you if it's burning Trans oil so probably a good idea to leak test. After that I'd check your carb and jetting.

And always remember it is a 2-smoke! They should always smoke. More on a cold engine and less when warmed up. But it would pay to check your crank seals.

A good indicator of burning trans fluid is drain it and see if close to 650ml comes out. That's if 650 was put in. If drained and only 350ml comes out, then there's your sign. Leak test.

x5 check seals. You will need to either buy or build a leak tester if you don't already have one and do a leak down test. Sounds like the trans side crank seal. If it is that seal it is sucking in trans fluid and burning it off hence the white smoke. They can be done with motor still in the bike and not to pricey for everything you will need.

Also like stated above it is a 2 stroke so some smoke is normal. You need to leak test though to be sure..

See if it's burning Trans oil. A leak test could also tell you if it's burning Trans oil so probably a good idea to leak test. After that I'd check your carb and jetting.

I built a leak tester last week. How do I pinpoint the leak being the crank seal.

You can check if it is the gear side by putting the gearbox breather tube in a jar of fluid, if bubbles appear then the seal or collar is leaking.

The flywheel has to come off to test that side with soapy water!

Reactions: dirtysquared
Ok is the gearbox breather tube the little nipple sort of under the carb area on the right side if the engine pointing straight up with a hose that goes up and under the front hood. I thought this was the crankcase vent hose. When I did the leak test I couldn't build pressure unless I put my finger over the end of this hose. It would blow out as fast as I could put the air in.

Ding Ding Ding We have a winner !! But now you have to narrow it down further. Drain oil, pull cover, spray soapy water on seal area while pressureizing it. Unfortunately it could be a broken case from a broken piston, that is leaking air.

Well its fixed. I found a replacement seal at Autozone. It is actually a timing cover seal off of a 1993 Geo Storm. worked perfect. No more smoke.

Reactions: Awk08
IF....that seals works and holds up, thats a good part # to share for someone else in a bind someday.

edit: the somna-beech is even brown as our clutch side crank seal is by some manufactuers.
and only $4 :eek:

$_57.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/National-1953-Engine-Timing-Cover-Seal-Engine-Timing-Cover-Seal-Oil-Seal-/151364803791?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1993|Make:Geo|Model:Storm&hash=item233e0b9ccf&vxp=mtr

Reactions: jus_me