Blaster Runs...odd?

john65002

Sep 9, 2014
Alright. So, I bought a 2003 Yamaha blaster. Anyway, the original owner was running it 50:1. That's a little lean for my liking. However, i started running 32:1. All I did was turn the screw on top of TORS system to the right to get it to idle better. However now, it will run fine at low speeds but if I go for long distances, about 2 min after driving it will bog and act like its out of gas and you have to let it sit for awhile, almost like it's flooding itself off. However I got back and looked at the plug and its a light grey color and the white part is black. Its not even wet so I know its not running rich. I know I have a lot of questions here and i'm sure there is a lot of crap I did wrong, but I need the help. I would like to add that once I changed fuel mixture and turned that flat head screw to the right a couple of times, it seems that I had better throttle response. By that, I mean I barely push the throttle and it goes.

Changing the oil ratio requires a change of jetting.

You may need 1 or 2 sizes bigger main jet.

Adding oil to fuel weakens out the fuel content in the mix!

Well, with the idle adjustment, there is no screw in the carb for it. Just the TORS system. I will go back to the 50:1 and see how well she does.

50:1 is not enough oil for a 200cc engine.

Idle adjusting.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

yup read up on here...:)
so oil injection is deleted?
make sure the nipple is blocked off,on carb,air filter is clean.
does it have any mods done to it?,or what is stock?

02 carb with text 1 1 1.jpg

speedyslyder, it looks like your links are dead. Also, no mods. Oil injection is blocked off. Everything is clean. Just seems to hold a high idle for about a minuite then goes down to a normal idle and leaks a little gas.

Also to Blaster, just got done doing what you suggested. Seems to run good, only thing is now that I got the idle turned up, but now if you push on gas and let off, it seems to hold it and slowly go down, then it drops down to idle. I also noticed a little gas coming out of the brass fitting on the bottom(looks like a overflow of some sort) I will try to upload a video to youtube tomorrow.

ok.
sounds like you need to work on your carb.
if it is pouring gas out of overflow,then your floats need to be adjust,cleaned,replaced ect.
it takes longer to come down from throttle cuz it is running lean.
air screw, idle, jets ect,high idle
make sure your choke is not sticking either:D

It's not pouring gas out, only about a drop every couple of minutes which might be normal. It has a stock main jet however I did just get a 290 for my new Toomey pipe. Should I switch the jets? Also, I did the air screw adjustment like Blaster said and still have that long idle problem.maybe its just time for a whole new carb.

air screw 1 1/2 turns equals 540 degrees,make sure it is fully seating then turn it out.
you may be compensating your carb settings for another problem:)
air leak ,low compression.make sure cap on carb is tight also they come loose

I feel stupid asking this however what do you mean by cap? Also, I wouldn't say there is a huge amount of compression but it is there.

unnamed1_zps69a8fa18.jpg

unnamed_zps56ea02f8.jpg

Not the best pictures, its about all my phone can do. I can try to get much better pictures tomorrow or when I make the video. Cap didn't seem to be loose.

uh huh
you are missing overflow tubes.
oil injection line is still hooked to carb so....if it is deleted,then perhaps it is sucking air or whatever it is going to.
you need a can of carb cleaner lol
the hoses are cheap get some..it it like 1 dollar for a foot of hose..

I'm just going by what the guy said. The oil injection tube I assume your talking about is the big grey one to the left of the air screw?

you need to tune up that carb cuz it looks like you maybe able to suck dirt through it lol b ye bye engine:) i also dont see the locking tab that holds the top cover ono_O also looks like it is missing hose clamp on boot near airbox?
cas1 1.jpg

Last edited:
If your talking about sucking dirt in through the injection tube, ill plug it up in a instant.

is the oil tank by the rear fenders still there?
just do some research on here gets us more pics of your whole quad,and others will post there help as well
but from what i see is a neglected carbo_O:D
possible other issues to but we will set you straight lol

If you do not plug the injection nipple you will suck in air, just enough to make your idle hang and cook the engine.

It is not normal for the carb to drip any fuel, you either have a float height problem or crap in the needle and seat.