blaster randomly shuts off

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
My blaster will randomly shut off when im riding. It doesnt sputter or anything kind of just dies like it loses spark. The key was removed by the previous owner and i think the wire for the tors was disconnected too. are one of these why it randomly dies or maybe the parking brake sensor? How do i check these and usually after it dies it wont start back up. I have to let it sit a few minutes then it will start? thanks in advance for any help. that was the first time i ever rode it in the mud. could that have something to do with it?

do a compression and a leakdown test. check over all of your grounds, and make sure that the tors has been taken off correctly.

if you have a pre-03 bike, you don't have a parking brake sensor.

if the wires are just hanging out there....you need to seal up the end of the black one with the white stripe

ok so i dont have a parking brake sensor. ill seal up the wires to the key and would it matter if the wires that were disconnected from the headlight got wet or made contact with anything?

I'll suggest making sure your ground wires are firmly secured to the frame AND free of any corrosion. Also make sure your fuel air vent coming from the gas cap is not plugged.

ok so i dont have a parking brake sensor. ill seal up the wires to the key and would it matter if the wires that were disconnected from the headlight got wet or made contact with anything?

Ignition and lighting are 2 different circuts and share no wiring other than earth.

I'll suggest making sure your ground wires are firmly secured to the frame AND free of any corrosion. Also make sure your fuel air vent coming from the gas cap is not plugged.

Would that really make it shut off? Does it make the fuel not come out of the tank? If that's the case that may have been my problem because the whole quad was covered in thick mud and I don't have a vent hose on my cap so it could get clogged easily. A couple of the times when it died I put it on reserve and it started so the vent being clogged may have been the problem. Can I just buy a new hose and put it on or do I need a new cap? It doesn't look like there's anything there for the hose to slide onto

Yeah....air is needed to keep the fuel flowing. I'd try and clean any dirt out of the gas cap, if you can, and then attach a hose. Then try blowing air through the hose. If it flows you'll be fine, but if you can't blow air then it's plugged and you'll have to replace.

Try running it with the cap very loose or off so air can get in. If the quad keeps running then you know that was your problem.

Right in the center of your cap should be a nub with a hole in the middle. The hose slides onto this nub.

i would also check ur air box for any water i have had it do it to me a few times this past week where some water splashed in and shut me down by splashed i mean a foot of water and it spashed so it didnt flood the air box just misted it

On my cap the nipple was gone,broke off. So I went to the hardware store and bought a brass bung. It was threaded on one end ,and a hose can fit over the other.(I got the smallest threaed end with the correct hose size).I drilled out my plastic cap and cut a little off the brass fitting and screwd it into the cap. It just kinda self tapped into it.(its plastic,easy). I then cut the brass fitting were the hose slips on cuz it stuck up too far and would only cause it to get ripped out.I slipped a hose on and for $1.90 I was back in business.Ive had no problems with it at all since this quick fix. Oh I also did not have stalling issues like you,I was just doing preventive maintainance. And from what I read,that sounds like were Id start on you bike. And tape up the lose wires.Just because!