Blaster ran fine won't start now

Blasterfan86

Dec 18, 2013
Orgas wv
I switched out my cylinder today I did a heat test tightened down all nuts to their proper foot pounds. Ran fine kicked started on second kick. I left the fuel on then came back home 4 hours later now it won't start. When I checked the carb I seen that my over flow hose is straight up in the air so I pulled it down and fuel ran out like crazy. The spark plug is soaked but has a nice blue spark. Any body have any info for me

I would pull carb and plug kick it over until fuel is purged from cylinder then fix carb[clean and set float].Then put it back together and try it again

The over flow hose was straight up toward my seat and not toward the ground and it's like 8 in. Long so I think it filled it up pretty good there is nowhere for the fuel to go

to get the fuel out I would remove carb{you need to for cleaning and float setting]take out the plug and kick it over until all fuel is out of there

Turn the petcock off, drain the carby, remove the spark plug and kick it with the throttle wide open until your leg hurts.

You need to fix the problem with flooding, the needle and seat will need cleaning/replacing and the float level will need to be set.

Put in a new plug, reverse all other processes and try to start it.

Float level should 20 to 21.5mm on a stock carby.

7580-user5502-pic7361-1341402759.jpg

7362-float-tang.jpg

you want to turn the carb and hold it on a slight angle to measure the float height, like shown here......

24dn86f.jpg

it should just barely be touching the inner needle, not depressing it,

here's the float height's of the most popular carbs run on our blasters.......Credit to Awk08

26mm vm mikuni - 20-21.5 mm (stock carb)
28mm vm mikuni - 22mm
30mm mikuni - 23-25mm
32/34/36 tm mikuni - 18mm

30mm oko - 19-20MM.

keihin carbs -

2aj19o3.jpg

alot of these float heights came from this website, if your mikuni or keihin carb isn't listed above, it will be listed here.......

Allens Performance Mikuni & Keihin Carbs (mikuni)

Allens Performance Mikuni & Keihin Carbs (keihin)

It is possible to check the fuel level by attaching a length of clear plastic tubing to the drain nipple , lifting it up the side of the carby, and cracking the drain screw.

The fuel should show in the pipe to the level of the carb body above the float bowl gasket.

sometimes you need to pull the pipe, as it may fill with fuel also at that bottom dip, it will not start with a clogged pipe.
while the pipes off do the kicking, it'll push the raw fuel out the exhaust port.
and check your reeds while you have the carb off.

I got the blaster running now but one I get past half throttle it wounds out and no speed what causes that. The plug was filed so I changed the plug started first kick