Blaster piston slap?

mattsteibler26

Dec 8, 2011
hey i have a 1999 blaster that runs good and all but i was watchin some videos on youtube about blasters with piston slap. My blaster was just rebuild 2 months ago with minimal riding time. And it snaps and still runs quick and starts first kick without gas. Is there anyway mine has piston slap?

hey i have a 1999 blaster that runs good and all but i was watchin some videos on youtube about blasters with piston slap. My blaster was just rebuild 2 months ago with minimal riding time. And it snaps and still runs quick and starts first kick without gas. Is there anyway mine has piston slap?

If it was rebuilt 2 months ago, it probably isn't even broken in yet....no, unless your mechanic was a total hack, you don't have "piston slap".

never heard of piston slap on a new rebuild

You can easily have slap on a new motor. It all depends on the clearances the machinist used. blasters should be run at 0.04 - 0.05mm for all cast pistons and 0.06-0.07 for forged.

Any bigger and the piston has room to jiggle and produces slap. even on a brand new topend

If it was rebuilt 2 months ago, it probably isn't even broken in yet....no, unless your mechanic was a total hack, you don't have "piston slap".

a break in should take like 2 days tops??
post a video of it runing might just be the normal 2 stroke air cooled knock.

does it sound like this?

I'm trying to figure out if mine has a slap or not also. That is my bike in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
well if its concerning, its worth a gasket...take off the head and measure the bore and piston--work out te clearance. rather than be afraid the whole time. Gaskets are cheap...pistons are not

I did a compression test on mine and it reads 135 psi which is lots......if I push on the piston through the exhaust port i can feel a bit of movement in there. The only thing I can think of it being is the skirt of the piston is worn.

I don't think that sounds the same as mine. but it could, I can't tell that great from the video.

does it make the noise when running or just when you kick it over and it doesn't start? what mix are you runnin? if you are still runnin the oil injection it might not be primed

I did a compression test on mine and it reads 135 psi which is lots......if I push on the piston through the exhaust port i can feel a bit of movement in there. The only thing I can think of it being is the skirt of the piston is worn.

If it were me I would be takin the jug off, inspecting, and getting the measuring devices to work.

Play it safe, could save a lot of $$$$$$

I cannot tell from the video noise.
I am with Blaner, slide the jug off and have a look if in doubt.
Sooo easy with an aircooled motor.

Compression has very little to do with piston slap, not a valid test for it, but if compression is low, good reason for new piston and rings.
While you have the jug off (don't need to touch the head) measure your piston as well as the clearance.
Put on a new base gasket and you can keep riding your quad while waiting for your parts to come in.

I am quite familiar with piston slap and what can happen.
Blaster pistons are weak because of the large window in them.
When the window breaks off the crank will push the piece through the case at the bottom or into the gearbox.
The broken piston below resulted in a 1" square hole in the bottom of the case.
Another engine we took apart was running fine with only a bit of slap had 2 edges of the piston window cracked.

181515_10150134020680803_549110802_8377864_4486083_n.jpg

correct,you dont even need to take off the head, leave it on the barrel and just undo the 4 base nuts. bang easy as pie. then measure measure measure and put your mind at rest or fix the problem

ok, so what you are saying is to measure the skirt of the piston and the cylinder bore and then compare the two to figure out the gap?