"BLASTER" not much of a Blast! Did I make a mistake? Banshee???

DJRacing

Mar 19, 2014
Hey Everyone! I just recently picked up an 04 Blaster for about 750 dollars, and it ran alright when I got it, however, I put some work into it. First I went over the entire machine, cleaned it up well, changed fluids, new plug and filter. Then I had to rebuild the front brakes because one of them was locking up on me. I checked the reeds and the compression and such, and all was ok.

Sooo, I finally took my "new" machine out for the day, and I must say...I was disappointed. First of all, it really didn't have the power I was expecting to climb hills and such. Some people say "my blaster will pull wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear pure throttle"...well while mine pulls up a bit when I slam it, it doesn't rip up like my bikes do, which I guess is to be expected.

Second, the suspension was less than desirable. It felt like I was sliding belly first over the rocks!

I guess what pisses me off is that I probably put another 400 in the machine just with bulls#%t stuff, and now I just saw an ad for a 1989 banshee with a fresh top end and works suspension for 1500 dollars.

Would I have been better off buying the Banshee? How do "Blaster Lovers" stay so content with Blasters when they really aren't much of a "blast"? I mean, I guess if I was 13, it would be one sick machine...but being older and experience in MX,-so far, it doesn't quite do it for me.

PLLLLLLLLLEEEEASSSEEEE HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Thanks guys.....and I in no way am trying to offend those that have a passion for these machines....I hope to feel the same way at some point.

david

Blaster are killer fast in the trails. If you want to go ride anything else than get a 450. About everybody rides only trails with there blasters and we all spank everything we go against in the trails.

whats all done to your blaster? is it 100% stock? a stock wheelbase blaster will ride wheelies all day long. they wont ever compare to a bike, imo

Hey Everyone! I just recently picked up an 04 Blaster for about 750 dollars, and it ran alright when I got it, however, I put some work into it. First I went over the entire machine, cleaned it up well, changed fluids, new plug and filter. Then I had to rebuild the front brakes because one of them was locking up on me. I checked the reeds and the compression and such, and all was ok.

Sooo, I finally took my "new" machine out for the day, and I must say...I was disappointed. First of all, it really didn't have the power I was expecting to climb hills and such. Some people say "my blaster will pull wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear pure throttle"...well while mine pulls up a bit when I slam it, it doesn't rip up like my bikes do, which I guess is to be expected.

Second, the suspension was less than desirable. It felt like I was sliding belly first over the rocks!

I guess what pisses me off is that I probably put another 400 in the machine just with bulls#%t stuff, and now I just saw an ad for a 1989 banshee with a fresh top end and works suspension for 1500 dollars.

Would I have been better off buying the Banshee? How do "Blaster Lovers" stay so content with Blasters when they really aren't much of a "blast"? I mean, I guess if I was 13, it would be one sick machine...but being older and experience in MX,-so far, it doesn't quite do it for me.

PLLLLLLLLLEEEEASSSEEEE HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Thanks guys.....and I in no way am trying to offend those that have a passion for these machines....I hope to feel the same way at some point.

david
How much was your bike ? $750 ? New Blasters were only $3,500. Blasters are hard to catch in the woods they only top out about 55-60mph.

I second the trail killer!!! I have WAY more power than ever needed for any trail...
Stock could be a bit boring though. I have porting work, reeds, exhaust system, mod carb box, rejet, fully adjustablr shox, steering shaft extension, etc etc etc. And had to extend the swinger because it lifts up in 5th gear.

I have ridden a 650 bom, and while the torque is nice, I still find the 2stroke power band MUCH MORE exciting! Everyone who rode mine climbed of with a big smile, and they all ride 400+cc 4 pokes.

What all did you buy parts wise that you spent $400?
IMO, if you put that into fixing/ maintenance, it wasn't worh 750

Does it have any mods?
Have you done a plug chop/read?

Blasters are slow stock. But if you pipe it, jet it, and do some other smalls it will go a long way. Do you trail ride a lot? Or mainly hill climbing? A suspension upgrade is nice also. Also leak test it if you havnt already.

there is ways to make it faster without spend alot of money, change the gearing, port it yourself,race gas,No four wheeler is going to be as fast as a dirt bike,they weigh less and have one,or two tire spinning.Blasters are light try riding a 4 wheeler that is heavy that is no fun:)

Well since it is so slow, sell it to me and I will make it look like the 2 blasters in my sig. Stock blasters have around 17hp stock. The 2 in my sig are around 40hp.

I also have a ported banshee. My blaster will demolish my banshee in the trails. Do you know how to ride? If you are expecting a stock blaster to be fast you are sadly mistaken.

How about you give us your budget and we will tell you the best bang for your buck.

Reactions: 08yfzman
Apples and oranges. Dirt bike has 200lbs on Banshee and at least 150 on Blaster, at least 3x power of stock Blaster.

Or, ride your bike then jump on a YZ490, WR500, KTM440. You will think your bike is broken, LOL

Last edited:
Im 35 years old and I'm perfectly content with my blasters..now when I get off my bike and hop on a totally stock blaster I cant get back on my bike fast enough..lol..after you put some money into the right engine mods and suspension it will be a blast..like Larry's she said you cant compare apples to oranges but the lil kids bike can be turned into a awesome trail bike..imho!!

I can get on my blaster and race my buddy (who is equally as good as a rider) and race him on his stock blaster and destroy him by a great distance. NOTHING beats me on tight trials. And trust me, I've gone against a lot of different quads. You do the right mods to it and learn to ride, You'll be the champion of the trails.

Put up a list of the mods that you know is done to it. We'd be more than happy to tell you some things to get the most out of your Blaster.

My Blaster is the best trail bike I've ever owned. It has power when I need it, and Its small and light enough for me to whip it around through the woods.

Blaster's are all about making them your own, and making them suit your needs. A bone stock one leaves alot to be desired, but a few bucks and some wrenching, you'll have a nice Machine that will fit your riding style.

Hope that helps!

if your carb is adjusted wrong,you will be slow:) or your brakes are rubbing with an old as hell chain n sprockets.:)with a axel that barely spins because of neglect. just to add a few more :)