Blaster Frame Painting?

Blaster200boy

Aug 15, 2009
Floyds Knobs, IN
Well, In january i plan on taking everything off the blaster, leaving a bare frame. I need to take the old paint off the frame. I need to know the best way to take it off besides sandblasting. Sandpaper, Chemicals, what else? If sandpaper, what grit should i use?Then I need to get a suggestion on What brand of spray paint. Its gonna be a Gloss Black.

A lot of people use aircraft stripper to remove the paint. I tried it and it didn't work very well for me. Other people have had good results with it though. For paint I used rustoleum spray paint and its holding up great. Just make sure you clean the frame good after sanding to remove all the dust and dirt.

Best way to get the paint off the frame is a sandblaster honestly. Other then that, stripper/steel wool and mineral spirts....its a pain in the ass process..trust me ive done it. Paint...Powder coat it!!!!

Powder coat!

I just recently painted my frame with metalcast (gas,oil.heat resist paint)and its holding up sorta

Still have the wear spots from the ankles and knees and lost of spots all over from tree branches,rocks,mud and all that comes with riding trails

sidegrinder!! it works good but very,very lightly. the tight spots can be got with sandpaper. simple green is a good degreaser too.

its all easy to take apart and put back together...exhaust is a total of 5 bolts. The full motor is probably 60lbs. If ur trying to paint the frame with the motor and exhaust still on,dont even do it bc ur defeting the purpose bro.

Hello! noob here! i got a 04 blaster and am going to do a rebuild/frame piant job, i'm in the process of tearing her down and i am stuck on getting the pivot shaft out to remove the bottom end, i tried hitting it with aluminum hammer to move it but it is being stubborn. anyone know exactly how this comes out? any tricks to it? any help would be appreciative and i can post pics! thank you! - BlastRap

Powder coating is what im having done right now.

The prices probably vary but in my area to have the entire frame and upper and lower control arms sand blasted and powder coated is only 160.00 out the door.I havent decided on black or yellow for the frame but i have a few days left.lol

Id check around by the time you figure in all the chemicals,paint,primer,sand paper and what ever else it ultimately takes to do the job correctly you have spent atleast half that and it still is no where as durable.

Check around and see what the prices are you may find out youre money ahead to go ahead and do it right the first time.

Powder coat for sure! this place by my house quoted me 165 for sandblasting and any color i want..
with paint stipper youll have to re-apply the stripper a few times just to get to bare metal..or gook it on real thick...