Blaster fouling plugs after rebuild

Blasterbro89

Aug 22, 2015
Buffalo NY
I just rebuilt my 1989 Yamaha blaster. Ran fine idleign and when I went to go ride it after the heat cycles it sputtered and the accelerated and did that on and on. Then it fouls a spark plug after the engine heats up but not before it sputters and blows air out the back pipe like it is back fireing. Is it the carb over filling the engine making it foul the plugs and back fire?

2 threads is confusing
but sounds like you rebuilt top and bottom end?
you should leak test it first,but either the woodruff key is not aligned or broke=timing is off.
reeds are damaged ect.
but sounds like you put something toghether wrong if you cant shift it.

Reactions: Blasterbro89
2 threads is confusing
but sounds like you rebuilt top and bottom end?
you should leak test it first,but either the woodruff key is not aligned or broke=timing is off.
reeds are damaged ect.
but sounds like you put something toghether wrong if you cant shift it.
Just checked the reeds tonight there fine and idk how to do timing could you explain it? also how do you do a leaks own test? I did rebuild the top and bottom end. I was thinking it was the shift return spring. It runs fine with a new spark plug for 15 min then starts to putter and sputter like its blowing air and back firing.

the timing is on the flywheel/stator side.
you put the woodruff key on end of crankshaft and it aligns up the flywheel,with the stator.
some aftermarket stator plates are adjustable or people widen the hole themselves and adjust them:)
but backfiring is usually timing/reeds.

but you just split everything soo you should leak test it,compression test it so you know where it is at new.
and you idle screw is messed up soo you got a few things to fix lol..

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/about-air-leaks-save-your-engine.55537/#post-763164

you could do this to fix your idle/or take your's apart and fix it.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/aftermarket-carburetor-cap-and-idle-screw-install.22174/

Yes followed ken o Connor rebuild did exact ally what he did and the leak down test I ran the blaster and put soapy water on parts were the gaskets are and that's what the best I could do for a leak down test. And the key is lined up I did that right it might be the new top end and the piston but I have a neighbor who has a ton of carb everything and he prolly has multiple muki or whatever the carbs are called because it's 30 years old and never had the reeds or carb replaced but I knew I should have done that with the rebuild but I already put 413 in it so bills are pilling up

How could it be timing if it runs fine for 15 ,I'm then does its thing wouldn't timing t it even right from the start up because as it starts its like a bat out of hell but after running it turns to a model A the way it sputters

what did you buy for parts?Or what brands are they?
it could be your floats in carb,getting stuck or not free flowing gas.
airscrew setting?
it is not burning tranny fluid/white smelly smoke?
spark plug type?
any aftermarket electrical parts?

No could be the carb. Parts:Athena gasket set, hot rod crank bearings and seals ,hot rod transmission bearings ,hot rod counter balancer bearing,1184 three bond, um idk what cylinder and piston but it was a kit off eBay, tusk seals , Allen engine bolt set, all the rest is Oem parts I got off anouther blaster bottom end for 75 dollars. Gotta love Craigslist.

Last edited:
hopefully it was not these kits lol..
if it runs fine for 15minutes then not so well,i would assume
either fuel problem or detonation/getting to hot
i had that sputtering problem before and it was my floats needle&seat

and @Blaaster will be on different times cuz he is in australia:)
he will def chime in lol
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/anyone-ever-use-this-cylinder-kit.59677/

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/niche-industries-top-end-kit.61580/page-3
It isn't that kit but it is similar it was high rated and many if the people had success with them It seems to be working fine other that the carb problem I mean I roade it for like 45 min then It started the putter sputter thing

I could post a video tommrow on youtube and link it and see what you think I just have to find anouther non fouled spark plug lol

would love to see it:)
throw another ngk b8es plug in it
you are suppose to break it in with at least 1 full tank others will say 2 tank's full before rippin hard on it though lol

You need to leak test or you could be rebuilding again very soon.
Do you have a spair stator you could swap over? Check that your float is set correct alslo.