Black front wheels - Best way to accomplish this?

blasternoob

Feb 7, 2008
Fort Oglethorpe, GA
Just like the title says, I'd like to go with black on my front wheels. Has anyone had any success with a good paint job on them or should I look into powdercoating? (I know nothing about powdercoating, ie durability, price, etc....)

(My front wheels do not still look like they do in my pic to the left. I removed the ugly white paint and polished them out only to find out they are steel and not aluminum..... Polished steel wheel = Completely rusted after 2 weeks.)

take an electic drill with a narrow wire brush attachment, rough up the surface,..find a...turn table so the rim can spin as you apply the paint, (gives an even coat!)

or you can mail the to me and ill powder coat them pm me for price and details this also goes for anyone else interested in having their stuff powder coated if you are interested in my credentials i can email you a page of people i have done.

agreed with blasterman, take a wire brush to it, even though your rims are going to be black, tape it off so you get a good finish, if you dont tape it, your going to get overspray on the tires, just tape it off and youll be happier with the results, and powdercoating is very durable, but no offense to geteminline but i would just spray paint them, then just clear coat them and thell be fine, but dont forgot to primer them first!

Last edited:
I went ahead and removed the tires from the rims. I got one of them sanded and primed, but I was waiting to see if anyone had anymore suggestions on the type of paint to use.

uses painters touch or americas finest, it really doesnt matter what you use, except that cheap sh*t $1 stuff, just clear coat it and i will be good

make sure you clear coat when its warm or hot out, if its cold or humid the clear coat, when sprayed on the item, will crack the paint and it will look like sh*t, and then youll have to restart, but do it when its warm outside