BJM's WR250 Blaster Build

BJMPowersports

Oct 18, 2011
NC
Well i finally decided to start a thread, i picked up the donor bike today and now have started. Blaster is a 1989 i picked up for $140 that was complete but needed a full engine rebuild and about everything was worn out, but was a good base for what i wanted. The donor bike for the engine is a 1992 WR250 2 stroke which is the same as a YZ250 except it has a wide ratio transmission which should be better for the 4 wheeler chassis.

I am almost finished extending the swingarm, next after i get my shocks in is to make the upper a-arms, and still waiting on my bushings so i can make my Anti-Vibe Stem. I have the engine in and need to make the lower 2 engine mounts still and modify the swingarm pivot point just a hair so it fits up, already cut the pipe and have that figured out, tomorrow i plan on making the wedges and a flange for the pipe so it can be easily removed and installed, gusset the frame, and mount the rear master cylinder.

Here are the pics, and i will list more details later...

How i got it
2uz5le9.jpg

Swingarm in early stages of extension, more pics of it to come
sf8d5j.jpg

Stripped...
v4nqyx.jpg

Can see the suspension here, KFX450R lower a-arms which i have found bearings to make them work and a couple spacers, i need 18" shocks now, but i have some on the way, and i am using reamed banshee spindles and making custom top arms....
11igtpi.jpg

Left side of bike, engine just sitting in there at that point, i have sense made and welded front mounts, just need to make lower mounts and trim the swingarm and it will be in there
j0i7fd.jpg

Here is the right side, pipe is just sitting there, will be 100% mounted tomorrow and pipe should be done also
2q0n9sk.jpg

Grinding and welding
iqfq01.jpg

b48g39.jpg

Well hopefully this build will be done within the next month, but it is a budget build, trying to have $1000 or less into it when done, and i am on track for that providing i have no major issues come up, i will keep this updated as i work on it.

More pics and details to come....
Ben

Well i didn't get much done today, i should know better then to set goals lol. I did how ever get the swingarm cut and that part done, also mocked up a cardboard radiator thanks to YZ Otis, and i am currently bidding on a Polaris Predator Radiator on eBay. I got screwed with the shocks i ordered, front and rear, but did get my money back, so now i am on the prowl for some 18" front shocks, and another KFX rear shock. I ordered a Wiseco piston for the engine, and the gaskets i needed, so it should be a running engine before too long.

Anyways, more updates to come within the next few days when i get some more work done and some more play money, unfortunately i have some customer work i need to tend too, but that equals more parts...

Ben

Well progress has been slow lately, really i need some more parts to keep going, but i did get my radiator mounted and my rear shock in and cleaned up. I got the pipe figured out 95% i had to weld in a couple inch extension, not so sure how it will perform but i guess we will see. I am going to do a flange and make the pipe 2 pieces so i can take it on and off without taking the entire bike apart, also plan on using the tig welder and removing the "crimp" in the pipe where it is assembled.

I got more work done on the swingarm, and just need to plate the extensions so they are level with the rest of the arm, but i need to get the front end done so i can decide where to make the rear shock mount for ride height. Thanksgiving i day i have off and i plan on making the upper a-arms and finishing up reaming the other spindle so i can have the front end figured out minus actually buying shocks, just waiting on a good deal i suppose.

I did get all the parts in to finish building the engine, so i will complete that once i get the frame back apart for gussets and paint.

2hzqe.jpg

There is the shock i picked up for $32 shipped! :)

2nqtqwh.jpg

Here you can see the pipe and the radiator mounted up.

e983m9.jpg

Here is the right side, you can see i removed some brackets from the frame, i want everything not serving a purpose removed, also to shave a little weight. I am going to gusset the frame though, so there is no strength issues especially with me being a big boy and all the extra HP.

I will get some more pics once i get more work done. Hopefully i will get the top arms made on thursday and then figure out where the rear shock needs to mount.

Ben

Hey BJMPowersports

I am liking your build its looking good! I am interested to see this quad run. Just have a question or two. First your swingarm extension, I like the idea but did you move the mount for the shock in the photo it does not look like you moved it. Hows the shock going to fit? The other thing is I know you getting new front shock but what shock are in the photo's?

Quad is looking good keep the posts coming I:I

Hey BJMPowersports

I am liking your build its looking good! I am interested to see this quad run. Just have a question or two. First your swingarm extension, I like the idea but did you move the mount for the shock in the photo it does not look like you moved it. Hows the shock going to fit? The other thing is I know you getting new front shock but what shock are in the photo's?

Quad is looking good keep the posts coming I:I

I have yet to move the shock mount, I am going to cut the original one off and make a new one, but I am not going to put it exactly where it would be stock, I am going to make it where ever the ride height is correct with the front end.

As for the front shocks, those are stock with some zip ties on the bottom to give me an idea of about how long I needed.

Thanks for the comments!
Ben

Well i know it been awhile, but i have slowly made some headway. My metal supplier not having my metal for 3 weeks really set my top a-arms back, but i finally have all the metal, and have bent one side, just need to notch and weld it together. I ordered almost everything needed to finish, just need a couple OEM parts that i will order tomorrow after i make sure i need nothing else for the engine rebuild.

I did gusset the frame, only have 3 more to install, and all of them will be final welded once the bike is torn back down, also converted the rear to hydro with some stuff i had laying around.
206h10w.jpg

mo4eq.jpg

1z6tv82.jpg

Here is a side shot of how its going to sit
2r7rhck.jpg

Engine parts
35btthx.jpg

Thats all i have for now, i have ordered wheel spacers (which i hate) coming for the rear to get it a little wider, the front is 46.5" wide or so, which makes my a-arms +3 and about +1 forward. I ordered all my front brake parts, calipers, pads, SS lines, master etc. Also ordered a tether kill switch, Gripper Seat Cover, Fox Front Shocks, New Sprockets, Chain Rollers/Guide, and i am supposed to be picking up a set of 05 white plastics this weekend! Overall plan is to be riding at x-mas as we get a week off work from x-mas to new years. I have taken a few shortcuts such as wheels spacers etc to get running, but they will be upgraded in the future, just have the itch to ride because i have yet to ride it sense i bought it.

Ben

All i can say is make sure you get some video and upload it to youtube of it running and you ripping it also are you painting it? If so what color scheme?

Yeah I am painting everything, going with lime green frame, black a-arms, black swingarm, white plastics, and all the other odds and ends will be painted accordingly.

Thanks for the comments, should be a sweet ride when done!

Ben

Yeah I am painting everything, going with lime green frame, black a-arms, black swingarm, white plastics, and all the other odds and ends will be painted accordingly.

Thanks for the comments, should be a sweet ride when done!

Ben

That's gonna be one sweet ride, can't wait to see it finished.

Well i will get some pics tonight, but i got one top a-arm tacked together ready for final welding, and i have 11" of front suspension travel with my Fox Shocks. I am finishing up the mounts on the frame today and i bought a sand blaster and i am trying to get the frame blasted and painted by tonight so i can start wrapping it up.

Ben

Well plenty of pics to come with in the next couple days, got the basecoat on the frame, and clear will go on in the morning, and then some assembly! I know it's been slow, my brother got married last week and that took away my time off, but I have the next 8 days off and plan on riding some of it!

Ben