Big Sucker!

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
Well, for those of you who don't know, I work as a full-time small engine mechanic. Last year, I grew tired of smelling gasoline fumes every time I had to drain the gas tank on a mower or generator which needed carburetor work. Ethanol is wreaking havoc on lawn equipment fuel systems, and it is not uncommon for me to have to do two or three carburetor jobs a day during the busy season.

SO, it was time to get creative and find a way to suck a tank dry without draining gasoline into an open pan, or spilling it onto the floor. We had an old 30-gallon air compressor tank sitting around the shop, and I found a basic, Harbor Freight Tools air-operated vacuum pump sitting on the shelf in the tool room. With a little welding and a couple trips to the plumbing supply store two buildings down, here's what I came up with:

GasSucker4.jpg

It works great! Since the whole system is pneumatic, there is no chance of an electric vacuum pump starting a fire or causing an explosion. I can suck the average 3-quart fuel tank dry in about 60 seconds. Problem solved!

GasSucker3.jpg

The suction hose is nothing more than reinforced 3/16" ID air hose. I installed a female coupler onto the end of the suction hose so that you can unclip it from the top of the tank and attach it to the drain valve VVVVV on the bottom. You can then install a pressurized air line where the suction hose used to go, which will pressurize the tank and force the gas out through the bottom.

GasSucker2.jpg

There's the drain valve system, installed on the bottom of the compressor tank, where the moisture drain valve used to go.

GasSucker1.jpg

Here's a close-up of the reinforcement to the vacuum line I built. I just welded a washer to a piece of steel bar to prevent the long neck from accidentally breaking off. Just in case somebody gets in a hurry with the ball valve. People at our shop can be rough on tools.

This whole machine needs a little refinement, such as the installation of a vac/pressure gauge and a larger diamter drain valve system, but it works well enough as-is for its intended use. I'm sure the whole thing will be painted properly before all's said and done. Look out rotten gas! Braaaptor's coming for you and he's got a big sucker....

In the famous words of the Guinness beer commercials........BRILLIANT !!!

cool stuff! I'm sure anyone who shares your dwelling will appreciate it as well

the only thing worse than gasoline smell is diesel, can't stand it!

cool stuff! I'm sure anyone who shares your dwelling will appreciate it as well

the only thing worse than gasoline smell is diesel, can't stand it!

Agreed! Though in my case the only thing more rotten than gasoline is old, dead gasoline which has been sitting in the tank for years on end. Good luck getting it off your hands or body if you spill any.

Reactions: brandoz28
That is way cool ! One might say Brilliant! LOL! Oh and by the way, Gear oil is the one I can do without! Nasty,and it dont wash out for shot!!! So keep it off your clothes!!

That is way cool ! One might say Brilliant! LOL! Oh and by the way, Gear oil is the one I can do without! Nasty,and it dont wash out for shot!!! So keep it off your clothes!!

Hahahaha, I forgot about that one! That's the main reason I loathe working on Troy-Bilt tiller gearboxes. Full of 80w-90 gear oil and you know its gonna spill sooner or later. :eek:

Hahahaha, I forgot about that one! That's the main reason I loathe working on Troy-Bilt tiller gearboxes. Full of 80w-90 gear oil and you know its gonna spill sooner or later. :eek:

I hate that feeling your like gotta be carefull...gotta be carefull...gotta be carefull and you spilled a little wour whole day is ruined lol