Big Bore Kits?

eodbrad

Mar 3, 2010
Well I'm in the market for a big bore kit. I've done some looking around, pricing..etc. i suppose my main purpose for going big bore is just the desire for power.

1. Which companies are out there that make not just a good...big bore modification, but a wonderfully done product. Trinity racing? herr juggs? Ct Racing? vitos? i know there are a good number of vitos kits out there....i'm just looking for something a bit above and beyond that.

issues:
gas wont be an issue...have a 100oct station right down the road. or...i suppose i can do the 108leaded+91oct 50/50mix.
cost: no worries ;) but..realistically 1500 or less.
stroker? shall i go with a +4 stroke? i'll already be running at minimum 100oct fuel.

Well I'm in the market for a big bore kit. I've done some looking around, pricing..etc. i suppose my main purpose for going big bore is just the desire for power.

1. Which companies are out there that make not just a good...big bore modification, but a wonderfully done product. Trinity racing? herr juggs? Ct Racing? vitos? i know there are a good number of vitos kits out there....i'm just looking for something a bit above and beyond that.

issues:
gas wont be an issue...have a 100oct station right down the road. or...i suppose i can do the 108leaded+91oct 50/50mix.
cost: no worries ;) but..realistically 1500 or less.
stroker? shall i go with a +4 stroke? i'll already be running at minimum 100oct fuel.

if you want something above and beyond get one of the above kits and have it ported. the porting will really make the difference. especially if you go with FLOTEK :)

the CT racing kit or the LA Sleeves kits (the actual cylinder kit, not the press in sleeve) would be your best option as a starting point because they both use the CR style reed cage (veto's uses stock, not sure on the others). After that just get it ported by one of the builders on here and match it to a good pipe.

I like the L.A. Sleeve stuff. Their sleeves are thicker than most and have a special port design. They sell a forged piston (don not buy cast) made by Wossner. I hear their the only forged BB piston on the market right now. Wossner seems to be a high end piston in europe. I just bought mine and it also has a trick moly coating which I like. I hav'nt rode it yet (breaking in slowly) but I will inform people how she runs. Imo Wiseco pistons are for racing only, their to light for rec. riding.

i've been eyeballing the ct racing setup for a while now. bout a month ago i did a simple top end rebuild. honed it just a touch and new piston/rings/wristpin/bearing. did the break in on it and after 8ish hours of actual riding the compression is already gone. no biggie...it just pushed me towards something i had been considering anyways.

hmm, well i've got a set of vforce3 reeds...there are better/specific reeds for having the BB kits? i was thinking the vforce reeds were good enough..?

porting: i know everyone's tried a few different types. ct racing kit includes porting.

stroker: thinking about going with a +4 stroker

pipe: i have a pro circuit platnium pipe now. do i need an upgrade? ct racing offers a pipe with the kit. was thinking i'd be saving just a little bit of cash by having vf3 reeds and the pipe already

The pipe will be fine, the porting on the othe hand is a different matter. a stroked motor requires different port timing and head mods ( the spacer plate isnt needed when you have the head done). with the + 4 you will also need the cases trenched.) The CT does come 'ported' which is basically just a cleanup of the casting. There is definiltly room with the cylinder for a good porter to get more out of it. The ct cylinder also has a lot better fin setup than the vitos on top of a much better intake area. IMO the CT/la sleeve cylinder is what the vito's wants to be when it grows up...

thanks for the tip. kinda doin my knowledge upspin on things now. tis been a learning experience...considering my quad has been broke down more than it's run. (mostly due to my lack of motivation to dig into it) lol.

basically..what i'm hearing here is ...get the ct kit...then send it off to someone who can do a good port job.

+4 stroke? with a good port job how much benefit will that actually get me. aside from assuring that i'll need race fuel to keep the engine alive.

imo, you'd be better off getting a +3mm vito's crank. With the +4 you have to have your cases trenched and with the +3 its a simple drop in and go.

yep, +3 crank, may have to do a slight bit of clearancing (always wise to double check) but no trenching. have the cylinder ported for the stroke and have them do the head for the stroke. while doing the head the person porting it can set it up so you can run pump gas so your not spendng megabucks on fuel...with that top end stroked even setup for pump will put you on your ass quick if you dont respect it. It will have some balls....

IMOu should go with a suspension set up first depending on rideng THEN but yurself a nice vitos 3m crank and talk to Valley Cycle Acessories and but a arisol firebreather 240 and tell them to have it ported for a 3mm crank. once u get it back send the head to a builder of your choice and have them design the head for maximum squish band. get a 30-34 for mx or 34 or higher for everything else and if u want more have them port it for your pipe and carb. and this is a 110 only kit

I have a ct 240 kit It has the standard trail porting that is basically just a cleanup on the casting. I just put a set of 250r vforce 3 in it and love it. If you have vforce reeds 4 your 200 they will not fit the ct 240 and if you have a good pipe and silencer i would save the $$$$ and use them. I would buy a 240 that your vforce will fit and a 34mm carb and better SUSPENSION. If that is not fast enough when it is time 4 a new piston and rings I would go with a 3 or 4mm stroker and port to match.

well i went with the ct 240 kit. (not the sleeved version) i have a decent pipe already. i got a stock crank/stroke and will enjoy that for awhile i'm sure. i will def get the vf3 250r reeds eventually (bout as soon as i get used to how much power im gonna get. thanks for all the advice...i'm certain i'll have more! lol. (suspension upgrades being on the list)

well i went with the ct 240 kit. (not the sleeved version) i have a decent pipe already. i got a stock crank/stroke and will enjoy that for awhile i'm sure. i will def get the vf3 250r reeds eventually (bout as soon as i get used to how much power im gonna get. thanks for all the advice...i'm certain i'll have more! lol. (suspension upgrades being on the list)

I assum you r getting the ct 240 cylinder kit, not the compleat package. What carb r you using?

On the right side crankcase there is a breather tube, because of the big 250r reed cage on the ct cylinder there is not alot of room for the tube, and I was not able to get the tube on after the ct cylinder head was on, I had to grind some of the cylider under the cage for room. If you put the tube on before you put the cylinder on the tube might fit on better. Look at the thumbnail picture, can you see the tube from the case under the reed cage part of the cylinder, It is a tight fit.

I also needed a torque wrench adapter tool to torque the front cylinder bolts.
Motion Pro Torque Wrench Adapter - DennisKirk.com

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,527
Last edited:
I assum you r getting the ct 240 cylinder kit, not the compleat package. What carb r you using?

I went with the package deal. (new head/jug/piston/rings etc) (minus the pipe/silencer as i have pro circuit combo now) 38mm carb, aggressive trail port. am pretty sure i'll notice the difference in power. but you know how that goes. lol. thanks for the advice. going to order up that adapter and will make sure i check the space for the breather hose. (pretty important) mine spews oil out of that tube where it comes out on the front of the quad when it's a lil bit to full..and gets a weee bit to warm. assumed it was normal due to heat expansion.

looking at 250r vf3 reeds now. are they better than the ones ct ships with it?