best rear skid?

xjma

Have a baja (I think by DG?) rear skid but it's beat up. Want to get a new one but just want to hear some reviews of how people that beat the piss outa their skid plate feel with the ones they've got.

I see armadillo has the thickest, is this one the best? Any other ones that people that ride their sport quad through jeep/4x4 trails a lot like? I guess this baja one did pretty well but I would like something beefier if possible.

I've had GYTR and some other aluminum plates they were both thick stuff, didn't hold up to AWK mountain at all. I hate the look of the stockers but I'm on my second year with it, I did plate it up!

Also had GYTR on my daughters raptor and $120 later the mountain ate it!

lets see, I've only broke three so I guess I'm somewhat an authority.

UM - mounts are off from factory, I've seen two this way, and broke at the welds and mounts after about 10 rides

GYTR - very good looking and fitting, bends easily with big hits though it did last the longest of the three AM I've had

Moose Racing - probably the worst of these three, hangs low, which is good for +teeth rear sprockets, but had the worst welds, broke the welds in three places on one big hit, second ride with it, also bent into the chain very easily and has no chain slider protection ... Aluminium scraping chain = sh*t

PRM - I have their .250 on order - (would not order .125 or .190) .250 is expensive but the thickest I could find for the blaster and has minimal welds to break and covers swingarm rails as well, it also has a TM designworks chain slider so if it bends into chain it won't wreck another like the AC, hoping it will hold up to the abuse and I will give report

If the PRM fails I will be taking Slicks idea of welding steel plates to the stocker to cover the carrier and will never buy an AM again.

Last edited:
Hey I live down here in utah and all the trails I ride on have a lots of rocks. The first time I got my blaster and really took it out on a real ride I destroyed my rear skid plate so bad that a piece of it actually got wedged between the rear carrier and the rear disk. Needless to say I went and drop the coin on an armadillo skit plate and I haven't look back since. My only advice I give you if you do is throw a little loc tite on the bolts especially on the hex head one they send you in the package with it. I was out riding and that one like to walk its self out I had to take it out in the middle of the ride because it was rubbing my rear sproket

the dg baja that is on there is severely bent and some of the welds are starting to come apart....probably not the welds fault. The part under the chain is bent up so bad that the the bottom of the rear chain guide is gone and now the chain hits the lip of the skid....annoying. Got a new (used) rear chain guide and it doesn't fit with the skid bent up so badly.

Where do you get PRM? Looks like either Armadillo or PRM will be my choice! Thanx for all the responses.

IMO. I tear these up bad to just stockers tho cant afford aluminum ones. I would take an aluminum one and make templates of the whole thing and take it to a metal fab shop tell them to make you one. Or just take a the whole skid up there and have em make you one outa stell would be cheaper than a am one and last longer