Bent wheel..What do you think is the cause of this? PICs inside

S

SoloVRT61

Well from looking head on at my blaster..my right front wheel is bent..I thought it was the wheel bearings, So i replaced them..and it did help some..it did not fix it as you can see..Heres what it looks like

sep9002.jpg

sep9005-1.jpg

sep9001-1.jpg

From the pics you can see the wheel is bent in a little bit on an angle..I could use new upper control arm bushing\bearings but i dont think that they will fulyl straighten out the wheel..I am going to do them because the do need to be done..but im wondering what would cause the wheel to sit like this? Hopfully you guys can help..thanks

-Jon

oh yea we can help.

so your wheel is not bent, it is completly natural to be sitting that way.
However they may be out of adjustment.

there are two ways the wheels adjust, Camber and toe in

Camber will look like / \ from looking at your quad from the font (this pic is exagurated of course) the slashes representing your wheels and tires.

Toe in would also look like that but from sitting on your quad, standing up and looking stright down at the tops of your wheels.

You want some degree of camber, b/c when your suspension compresses (specifically when turning) the camber will in a sense be gone. Camber is adjusted by moving your top ball joints in or out accordingly, and sometimes adjusting the bottam ball joints is necessary also.

toe in can be very very slight - you dont want toe in to be over exagurated.
toe in is adjusted via your tie rods and the length you have moved the ajusting nuts out or in.

hope this helps -

(you might want to pick up a clymer shop manual for the blaster)

I just realized that Stock a-arms dont have adjustable ball joints. If your camber is equal on both sides of your quad your ok.

Thanks..I guess saying the wheel is bent was missleading, I know its not bent but like you said my camber is way off..The right wheel is definatly "toe in" and the left wheel looks to perfectly straight.. I do need to pick up a manual..I will look in to the one you suggested.

So with a stock suspension..what is my best bet to straighting the wheel out, adjusting the tie rods? I plan on re-doing all the bushing and bearings on my A-arms as most of the bearing\bushings on the quad are shot..but this is my main focus rite now becuase the quad dosnt feel stable from 3rd gear and up..

Also after doing the front wheel bearings and the right wheel is still wobbeling..im not sure if replacing A-arm bushing\bearings will solve my problem fully either...

So you replaced your bottom arm bushings? Another thing could be the top a arm is bent an leaning the top of the wheel in.

I have not replaced my A-arm bearing\bushings at all yet..I only did my front wheel bearings..I was wondering if the top of my upper a arm is shot..but it looks fine when i look at it..I dosnt seem to be bent..I cant tell..I need a friend to come over and take a look..But im thnkking A-arms might be the reason...so i will work on getting this checked out..

Ok make sure its not bent an both your lower an upper arm bushings could be worn out making the bottom move out a lil an top being pushed in causing it to lean, jack the quad up an check it by shaking the tire an watching the a arm bushing area.

Ok, so your toe in can be corrected by adjusting the tie rod.

As for your a-arm being bent, but it looks normal than its prob fine. unless its bent at the spot that the ball joint is located. look at that and get back too us.

the bushings probablly wont be the problem here, unless they are totally shot. But even then I dont think so. If you can grab ahold of your a-arm and try to shake/move it and you get movement then they should be replaced and that might fix it.

But you go on to say that the wheel is wobling. Did it wobble before you redid your wheel bearings? If not then you did not seat your bearing in all the way, and maybe even seated them crooked.

One more problem could be you have a bent spindle.

keep us updated.

Im starting to think its a bent spidle..The A-arms look fine..and when i shake the wheel it wobbles..and it did before i did the wheel bearings, The new wheel bearings helped alittle but not much as far as the major slop in the wheel..Its pretty shakey..The bushings seem to be shot..but just from the looks of the right side and the fact that the A-arms look good Id think the spindle is bent..But its pretty hard to tell..I am going to inspect some more in a few mintues..

Ok i took a pic of both spindles so maybe you guys can help me..The right one (clutch side ) which is the one in question kinda looks a little off..but i want your guys opinions as well..so here it goes

This is the Brake side and what I beleave is the "Good side"
Pic 1.
sep9008.jpg

This is the clutch side and the side that I beleave something is wrong with:
Pic 1.
sep9007.jpg

Pic 2.
sep9006-1.jpg

What do you guys think..

If your sure you seated the bearings completly and when you shake the wheel the wobbling is not occuring at the frame end of the a-ams. And your wheel lug nuts and the large spindle nut are all torqued to specifications I would have to say its a bad ball joint.

You would have known it was a bad spindle when you were replacing the bearings.

Does the wheel wobble when you jack the quad off of the ground and spin the wheel freely?

Yes the wheel wobbles when i lift the quad off the ground, I am npt postive its the spindle becuase I did not take it off..I just took the drum apart and put the new bearings in..and yes all the bolts are tight..Can a ball joint be easily replaced? or is connected to the spindle?

Alright, I think were close.

Since it wobbles when lifted, check to see if the end of the ball joint (closest to the a-arm, where the rubber boot is) wobbles as your "spining" the wheel then its the ball joint. If the ball joint doesnt wobble, then you have a bent spindle.

Yes the wheel wobbles when i lift the quad off the ground, I am npt postive its the spindle becuase I did not take it off..I just took the drum apart and put the new bearings in..and yes all the bolts are tight..Can a ball joint be easily replaced? or is connected to the spindle?

I think they can be replaced, not sure on stock a-arm though. I know I can easily replace my ball joints on my burgard a-arms. Its not connected to the spindle (except with a nut) it is however connected to the stock a-arm. If its your ball joint and you cant replace them you will need a new lower or upper a-arm, which ever ball joint wobbles.

P.s. which ever part it is you will need I have both or all. Ill sell you what you need for a good price.

I think they can be replaced, not sure on stock a-arm though. I know I can easily replace my ball joints on my burgard a-arms. Its not connected to the spindle (except with a nut) it is however connected to the stock a-arm. If its your ball joint and you cant replace them you will need a new lower or upper a-arm, which ever ball joint wobbles.

P.s. which ever part it is you will need I have both or all. Ill sell you what you need for a good price.

Wow I would really appreciate that!! You have been super helpfull..Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out I:I..Tommorrow i will shake away and check to see if its the ball joints..I spent about 4 hours today doing the rear wheel bearings. What a f*cking nightmare!!!! the left side bearing would not come out for sh*t..and on top of that, the end of the axle ( threaded part where the cotter pin slides through ) broke off from me pounding the axle to get it out of the bearing carrier..So I will also need a new axle in the near future( i put loctite on it for now It might hold if i dont do some serious riding before i repair it )..Im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a Banshee axle on ebay..Do you know if they will fit no prob, I mean like everything fitting up as in hubs and brakes ? I also need to do something about my rotor since its just sitting on the axle..nothing is there to hold in place??? I will have my clymer manual soon so that will be a big help im sure..But tommorrow when i fish installing the oil injection block off kit i will check the front wheel again..So stay tuned!!

Alright keep me posted. Im glad to help.

Also I have all the axl stuff you will need, if you want to stay with stock blaster equip.

I posted in the other thread you started about the axl too. the guy on here Rocdeezy I think has a banshee axl in his blaster. so maybe PM him and get thoes answers. Ive never done that conversion myself.

P.s. whenever your pounding on something use a piece of wood that way the wood will break before any part. Or if you have a piece of brass rod use it b/c its softer than most all parts.

just something I learned the hard way too.