bbk 72-20?

kpnone

Feb 10, 2011
Alaska
i have a vitos bbk. The piston failed, but everything else looks good. The casting mark on the bottom of the piston is: 72-20. The cylinder mics out at 72 and the old piston approximately 71.5. What is the -20 mean? I want to make sure I buy the right piston. Thanks, kp

is that my old motor? how did it work out for you? what caused the failure?

i wish i could remember what size piston was in that.. probobly take it to a trusted machine shop and have them measure it to be sure it doesnt need to be bored as well.

if i remember correctly its a 72.5 but i would still have it measured just to be sure..

Yeah, that's your engine. It ripped all winter long on the ice. My son only lost two races. One he ran out of gas (his fault) and the other, he lost to a bbk raptor (he had beat that machine before, but it just wasn't his day). He dominated the 450s all winter and even finished ahead of most of the outlaw riders when they combined classes.

the piston skirt failed, no big deal. Everything else looks good. 72.5 makes sense, that 72 + 20/1000, right? The batteries are dead on my caliper, so i probably didn't get the most accurate reading. Is that a vito's piston? I can call them, they should know.

Great engine, I'm glad we made the deal!

Yeah, that's your engine. It ripped all winter long on the ice. My son only lost two races. One he ran out of gas (his fault) and the other, he lost to a bbk raptor (he had beat that machine before, but it just wasn't his day). He dominated the 450s all winter and even finished ahead of most of the outlaw riders when they combined classes.

the piston skirt failed, no big deal. Everything else looks good. 72.5 makes sense, that 72 + 20/1000, right? The batteries are dead on my caliper, so i probably didn't get the most accurate reading. Is that a vito's piston? I can call them, they should know.

Great engine, I'm glad we made the deal!

Even though everythings looks good, I recommend that you split the cases and do a proper clean and/or replace the bearings and seals in the bottom end.