barn find, back from the dead

mitchb

Jun 8, 2016
So I thought I'd make a thread about my blaster and its story.

A few months ago while at my girlfriends grandparents cabin I spotted a ragged old blaster burried under filth and random junk in the shed. I asked her grandpa what was up with it and he told me that her dad raced quads flattrack back in the early 90s.
Apparently in 96 the transmission blew up so they took the motor in to a local powersports shop to have the shift drum replaced and ended up getting talked into a rebuild with a 2.5mm over bore.
Anyways I guess when the motor came back someone lost the flywheel nut so the project got put on hold for a while and eventually got forgotten about until 2016 when I had asked about it lol. That's 20 years!

Now the fun part! I bought it for 350$ from him. It came with a fresh motor still in plastic and a big box of parts.

So far I figure I have 1100 into it total.

Here's what I replaced/modified:

Twist throttle kit with carb cap
Tors eliminated
New air filter
Cleaned carb
Oil tank removal
Oil pump gear removal
Greased all wheel bearings
cleaned brakes
New coil, cdi,stator, and flywheel all factory Yamaha parts.
New bulbs
New chain link
4 new tires, front are 21x7 pack trak, rears are 20x11 itp holeshot.
New brake cables

That's wheres she's at for now. Finally runs and drives but swing arm bushing are bad already ordered dome I'm waiting on them

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_190606.jpg
    IMG_20160617_190606.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20160617_190600.jpg
    IMG_20160617_190600.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 399
  • IMG_20160617_190555.jpg
    IMG_20160617_190555.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 398
Future mods will be:
Nurf bars
Exhaust system
Endurance II trail speedometer/Tac

What exhaust Is the best value for these things?

Also I was thinking about widening it but I'm not sure becuase it needs to fit in my trailer and its already tight

Future mods will be:
Nurf bars
Exhaust system

Also I was thinking about widening it but I'm not sure becuase it needs to fit in my trailer and its already tight
future mod will be a thumb throttle because its easy to die with a twisty on a quad

Reactions: Meyers
Future mods will be:
Nurf bars
Exhaust system

Nice back story, and that's a really clean blaster.

I like the DMC Alien Exhaust, its a good all around exhaust, and the price doesnt kill your wallet.

You can widen it a little with stud extenders. Myself and numerous people here have ran them before with no problems. Its a quick cheap solution.

future mod will be a thumb throttle because its easy to die with a twisty on a quad

I dont see how it can make the bike any more dangerous... I have been riding MX for a number of years now and have never had a problem behind able to handle twist throttles, in fact it's what I'm used to (on motorcycles anyways)

Reactions: BlackBlaster86
Nice back story, and that's a really clean blaster.

I like the DMC Alien Exhaust, its a good all around exhaust, and the price doesnt kill your wallet.

Thanks for the tip ;) I'll take a look into these

You can widen it a little with stud extenders. Myself and numerous people here have ran them before with no problems. Its a quick cheap solution.

I'm gonna do something about exhaust soon. The stock exhaust sounds super pathetic lol and I'm sure having a big bore with stock exhaust and carb is doing nothing for me at all. It Also didn't look ported to me either. So it's basically stock

Technically you don't have a big bore, only overbored. Big bore starts at 72mm max overbore is 66mm, maybe 68.5?

The stock pipe is actually designed to limit power and rpm. I did a"flipper" with a Vito's super stock piston and stock pipe, had GREAT low end punch but just as it got to the point of putting a 2stroke smile on your face it fell flat on its face.

A pipe is the best first mod to do, it's needed to get the most out of all the rest of your mods.
Be aware you must rejet for mods.

I dont see how it can make the bike any more dangerous... I have been riding MX for a number of years now and have never had a problem behind able to handle twist throttles, in fact it's what I'm used to (on motorcycles anyways)

I've never ridden a quad with a twist throttle but on a bike you lean more than than turn the bars. Since you have to turn the bars more/sharper I've heard it's kind of dangerous on a quad.

To each their own I guess it's just what you're used to.