Backfire Through Carb

qr4life

Jan 26, 2008
Alright so I just rode my quad for the first time in a month. It was put away running fine. We just got 5 inches of fresh power here in Up-State NY so I figured that I would jet the carb richer to compensate for the denser air. I had been running it with a 155 main jet so I put a 160 main jet in and rode with that. I noticed that when I was riding up and down the roads that it really didn't have any power and didn't want to accelerate like it normally does past about half throttle. Mind you that I was riding in my yard and it ripped just fine. It was also surging when I let off the throttle and turned into my driveway. Anyway when I parked it, it immediately backfired out of the carb. Any ideas why this happened because it never backfired before. You can read all that is done to the motor in my sig. Thanks in advance!

surging or hanging idle usualy means lean. I am also in upstate ny and had my snorkel off and jetted propper/plug chops.I put the snorkel back on to richen it up when it got cold and plug chops were good.
I don't think 155 to 160 is a big enuff of a difference is it?I would plug chop to confirm.and deffinately check the reed like was suggested.

surging or hanging idle usualy means lean. I am also in upstate ny and had my snorkel off and jetted propper/plug chops.I put the snorkel back on to richen it up when it got cold and plug chops were good.
I don't think 155 to 160 is a big enuff of a difference is it?I would plug chop to confirm.and deffinately check the reed like was suggested.

Bingo! and 155 to 160 may even be too much depending on how rich it was to begin with seeing as how there was a power reduction after 1/2 throttle.