back wheels locked up on 450r!

May 12, 2010
wv
so i was riding yesterday, and when i shifted going around a turn, the back wheels locked up and wont move even when in neutral, but it will still turn over and try to take off when you let out of the clutch so the tranny is all good. And we just replaced the rear bearing carrier so im thinking we might not have put something together right. does any one have any idea what could have caused this?

your gonna have to jack her up and get the chain off to determine if it's carrier or clutch/tranny snafu

A brake failure will definately lock your rear end up tight. It happened to me on my 450r at Busco last year. So, before blaming the bearings, unbolt the brake caliper from the swingarm and try to remove it. If it wont let go of the rotor, you've found the problem! Take the brake line off the caliper, and it should pop free after the pressure in the line is released.

If the brakes arent the problem, its time to pull the rear end apart. If you've already replaced one carrier, you know the axle nut unscrews backwards and is sometimes PITA to get off. But once you're past that point, it should be easy to get things apart for a look at the bearings.

if you put too much side load when tighting the axle nut on the bearings they will fail very quickly too, i only have mine a 1/4 turn past hand tightened...