areblaster lower ball joints replaceable?

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
I broke the ball joint trying to get my a arm off the spindle. The threaded part broke off in the nut. Is the ball joint replacable or do i need a new lower a arm? Is anyone looking to sell a lower a arm cheap?

left lower a arm and i was trying to take it off to repaint everything and i put the nut on it and was tapping it with a hammer and it screwed up the threads so when i tried taking the nut off the threaded part of the ball joint came off with it

I guess you learnt by that episode that you don't hit the nut, but the arm the tie rod goes into. You hit the arm to elongate the taper so that it releases its hold on the end.

Or was is simply a well placed miss with the hammer.

I started by hitting the nut and then thought about it and realized it was a bad idea. Then I hit the arm to eventually get it off. I learned my lesson though. Would it still be usable because the ball joint broke right where the cotter pin would usually go through so there is still some thread sticking out. Could I put it back together like this and just locktite it since I wont be able to put a cotter pin in?

Not a smart idea to run without the cotter pin, only in an emergency use locktite.

You may get away with a nylon lock nut, but is not recommended. Could be a swine to tighten though.

ok i picked up a set of 4 front a arms for 50 bucks but now im trying to get the axle out of the carrier. i got the 2 axle nuts off but how do i get the sprocket off the axle and then does the axle just slide out of the carrier?

:eek: :eek: :eek: Good luck on sprocket hub. Start by soaking it with PB Blaster or equal. Let soak, repeat. I have seen some destroy the hub to get it off. I had a homemade puller, heated hub dull red , hit puller bolt with 2lb sledge and it still wouldn't budge. Bought complete good axle/carrier for little more than auto parts wanted to press hub off. X(

KROIL. little orange can, this stuff makes pb blaster look like water.

it flat out works.

p_471000001_1.jpg

Yes once the sprocket is off (if your lucky) the axle can be tapped out. I have an old bent hub I put on my axle(s) then take a 1¼" socket over the stud and against the axle and grab a nice 5 lb sledge a few good wacks it out!

still didnt get the sprocket off. would a shop be able to use a press and somehow get it off? is it atleast worth a shot?

May ned a day or two of soaking! My sons 89 when i rebuilt it wouldn't come off even after cherry red heat, It got cut off, only one problem with that was, I also cut into the axle :-[, However was a GREAT excuse to get a extended one! :D