Anyone know how to rebuild 02 rear brake?

mithuth

Apr 16, 2009
Warren, PA 16365
Is there a noobs guide to rebuilding the rear brake caliper?
I bought the e-brake eliminating cable, and when I opened up the rear caliper it felt like a spring unwound or something, and there's no movement in the pads after I reassembled it.

I should note, the previous owner had the caliper apart and in the time I've had it, the brakes have never worked.

I'm really just looking for a way to rebuild the brake enough I can ride. I will eventually upgrade to banshee hydros, but I need a quick fix for now to get out on the trails.

Thanks in advance.

just pull it apart grease everything.. make sure the inside parts turns freely. grab the front with some pliers and twist it a few times and let the sping untwist it.. idk if your following what im sayng make sure to greese the outside of the pads too. the tend to lock themselves into caliper and lock up the brakes..

I tried greasing everything and spinning stuff to make sure it moves freely, I think there's parts of the internals missing or something. I pull the cable by hand with the cover off the caliper, and it all moves freely, it jsut doesn't seem to be applying any sort of pressure on the pads to squeeze the rotor.

you wont really see a movement in the little piston.. take a pic of all the parts you have and ill tell you what your missing ive been up this road with the brakes a few times..

When I pull the cable by hand, or push the arm forward, there doesn't seem to be anything pushing on the pad. I'm really lost here.

Hopefully I got what you need to see...

0430091248.jpg

yep those are normal. looks like u got everything. umm try this. cuz i fixed my brakes numerous times. make sure u clean and lube everything!!! the white plastic thing on the end that is the autotensioner. u gotta twist that so it clicks twist it a little and see if ur calipers side fits. u gotta do that until ur caliper barely fits without touching the caliper side.

ahh, auto-tensioner... gotcha. i'll twist the snot out of that and see what happens. there's almost the thickness of a nickel on either side of the rotor right now. Which way to I turn it, clockwise or counter clockwise?

I've got gear lube laying around, maybe I'll squirt some of that in there to see if it helps.

With 4 sons, working 3rd shift, and helping my boss move, I haven't gotten back out to the garage. I have mentally fixed those bakes10 times over... It's just a matter of getting out there to do it. LOL

I will definitely update when I get there...

Ok, I got off my ass and went out to try turning the plastic tensioner...
Note to self - it snaps off if you twist it too hard.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a replacement part and rebuild them, OR just go to hydros sooner. *sigh* lol

Yeah, but it's a perfect excuse to upgrade... never pass that up. LOL
I'll probably do both really. I can throw the stock assembly back together while scavenging for a good deal on a hydro conversion.

So where does everyone order OEM replacement parts?

blasterbrakes001.gif

It looks like I need part #3 and #4.

you dont want to get them from yamaha... lol
you broke the plastic piece? twist it clockwise and it should click i do that with very little friction between my finger and the plastic piece untill the little piston inside contacts the brake pad. if you turn it to much the first time you hot the brake they will lock up.. that plastic thing connects to the piston. pull the whole piece in the picture out and see if the piston screws in and out freely..

I twisted gently, and the whole top broke off. I'll grab a pic later.
I know I need the ratchet replaced, it's broke in 2 pcs.

Anyone got OEM 88-02 brakes laying around cheap for parts? lol