Anyone familiar with powder coating?

Jradd127

Oct 6, 2013
NJ
I'm looking to get into powder coating for my blaster parts & anything else I can use it for. Anyone familiar with this process? I've been doing some research on it and it doesn't look too bad, Eastwood has a nice starter kit & powders and I would get a sandblaster as well. I have a small compressor I'd hook everything up to and that seems to be all I would need. Any tips or advice that I may not realize until I start?

I apologize if this should be in a different section, this one seemed to be best
Thanks!

Yes, I am probably going to purchase one through Craigslist, I intend on getting a 30" electric oven from 100-250. My apologies for not originally stating that haha

You will need something bigger than "a small compressor".
My brother borrowed a teachers little sand blast booth and our large gas compressor just kept up, much less a full on sand blaster.

Also, you can do all parts on a blaster in the 30" oven except : frame, swinger, and steering stem.

And stock a-arms can NOT be safely powder coated.

For an oven, my brother and i talked about this for a while... We have a square 4-5' grain bin thing we thought we could turn into an oven. We were thinking ceramic bricks over the entire inside, and two electric oven heaters. It would work, but trying to get everything right would take some tries.

A starter kit would be your best bet, and a bigger compressor. The oven... someone with some experience can help you :p

I have been powder coating for years. Sand blasting will require a large air compressor or tons of patience and time. I would recommend making friends with someone that can sandblast for you at a discount.

My oven was a large freezer I acquired for free from a restaurant that went out of business. The insulation was fiberglass, the inside and outside were metal (perfect). I purchased all of my electrical components from ebay. Total cost $300 and I had an oven that was 62" tall 54" wide and 24" deep.

Any powder coating gun will do the job but some factors to think about are strength of charge (will my charge be strong enough for the size part I'm coating), how much powder you are going to waste, how even will my coverage be, how much can I adjust the gun for coverage thickness. For your plan I think any gun setup would do just fine.

Humidity is the enemy when it comes to keeping powder usable.