Any +/- from changing front tire size?

Coralkong

Jan 2, 2012
Thinking of changing from 21x7-10 to 19x6-10.....

General trail riding.

Thoughts?

Any benefit to going BIGGER than the stock sized tires?

I think the only difference for the front tires would be ground clear clearance. you might get hung up in the front if you go smaller. but depends on the trail. i dont recall seeing too many people with smaller front tires unless they drag race.

I would think you would have slightly less bump steer, slightly quicker/lighter steering effort, and less weight on the front. If you're on mostly smooth trails ground clearance wouldn't be an issue. Probably a common size for MX.

Myself, I'd like a set of 23s on the front :eek:, but I'm kinda weird :D

im running 22s up front and im happy with em, more ground clearance, and it easier to clear trail obstacles, they make the bike sit at a height i like more plus the added weight keeps the front end down a bit lol. had 19s before, they were a ton lighter and i did find it harder to get it to turn even when i was barely on the gas

Smaller fronts will make the bike dive into bumps and ruts and put you in an uncomfortable postion. Larger fronts will improve handing up to a point. 22's up front and 20's out back are a nice way to go.

im running 22s up front and im happy with em, more ground clearance, and it easier to clear trail obstacles, they make the bike sit at a height i like more plus the added weight keeps the front end down a bit lol. had 19s before, they were a ton lighter and i did find it harder to get it to turn even when i was barely on the gas

Exactly !!
Luv my 22's
Hated the 19's

I bought a pair of Itp holeshot 19s of Craig's a while back for $40 bucks. I havnt installed them yet because I havnt figured out how I would go about getting the new tire on. Is there a thread anywhere thats a how to mount your own tires or is this to big of a job and need to bring it to a tire place?

I find it real easy to put a tire on a rim. I just have a hell of a time getting the tires off. My problem is breaking the bead.

lots and lots of dish soap, and a tire spoon preferably. you want to work the tire on, you aren't stretching it over the rim.

doing tires is something that i usually will gladly pay another to do if i'm dismounting and mounting

Something that works even better than dish soap is Murphy's Oil Soap, they have one type that is consistency of grease (concentrated?) But do not use grease on tires.

I break stubborn beads by placing a short thick plank of wood on the tyre and driving my truck on it.

Maybee not the most elegant was to break beads, but works for me.

I find that it works better if you remove the wheel from the quad first.

I break stubborn beads by placing a short thick plank of wood on the tyre and driving my truck on it.

Maybee not the most elegant was to break beads, but works for me.

I find that it works better if you remove the wheel from the quad first.

i've used the "drive by" method too !!!

i bought my blaster with the 19's and i 90% trail ride my front hardly ever gets caught up because of ground clearance; the rear with 18's is a totally different story lol
im fixing to switch to 22" though because my fronts are wore out