another new LT250r

2g00d4u

Apr 22, 2010
Smithville, ON, Canada
So after buying a 1989 LT250r that needed some work for really cheap, I came across a 1986 LT250r that was in great shape and runs great, I traded my sled for it seeing as we aren't getting ANY snow. Picked her up last night, I guess driving home in the pissing rain on the highway for a few hours soaked some of the electrical and it had the weakest spark I think I have ever seen, a new plug and wire later its going perfect again. It's a sweet quad and it's loud as hell, I am just going to pull some parts off my 1989 to make the 1986 as good as possible, then sell the 89 for parts, i got an offer for $500 so I might just make a bit of money off it.

the 1989

IMG135.jpg

IMG134.jpg

the 1986

IMG147.jpg

IMG148.jpg

and my garage right now, gettin pretty full of 250r's lol

IMG149.jpg

nice. I like the fact that you can run all yamaha hubs on the 85-86 and it's much lighter... needs more gusseting but besides that and maybe better suspension and swing arm that is a more fun bike to have possibly... the 87+ have better stock front suspension and stronger swing arm but motor wise ur limited in bore ect by the thing everyone loves about it, the PV... but the older ones I hear of some interesting 310cc hybrid motors using like trx250r sleeves and or tecate or polaris and jet ski pistons and other stuff to them to big bore and stroke them... so in some aspects the 85-86 are more sought..

nice. I like the fact that you can run all yamaha hubs on the 85-86 and it's much lighter... needs more gusseting but besides that and maybe better suspension and swing arm that is a more fun bike to have possibly... the 87+ have better stock front suspension and stronger swing arm but motor wise ur limited in bore ect by the thing everyone loves about it, the PV... but the older ones I hear of some interesting 310cc hybrid motors using like trx250r sleeves and or tecate or polaris and jet ski pistons and other stuff to them to big bore and stroke them... so in some aspects the 85-86 are more sought..

I have an good aftermarket swinger with long travel suspension I am going to put on the 86, not sure if the suspension on the front is stock though. I have heard good things about the 85 and 86's.