Amsoil 80/90 synthetic gear oil ok in the crank case?

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
I went to the local dealer today to get a few things and figured my blaster had sat for many months until i got around to tearing it down and sending it to ken id go ahead and change the gear boxes oil.but what i usually run they were out of which is the amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil they did however have 80/90 synthetic gear lube is this ok?ive not used it in a tranny yet i do have it in my supercharged gt with 4.30's in the rear and its awesome but is it ok i my blasters trans?i put it in but havent fired it up.

Everythings new even the clutch and i got a big day saturday of flat tracking so i dont want any issues with somethig as stupid as fluids.anyone else running this stuff?

That stuff is way to thick. I have run 20w 50w amsoil with no problems but it was designed for wet clutch systems and i am sure that thick gear oil is not. Just run some automatic tranny fluid Type f if you cant find what you want for now.

There are a handful of guys over at BHQ that run it in their banshees without any probs. Mostly dunes guys that run in really high weather temps.

So its ok for the trans and clutches?im worried it wouldnt be safe for the clutches.

I ride on flat tracks some mx tracks the woods and alot at the dunes in bad lands so thicker wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing.

Took it out a few mins ago and ran it nothing hard but it seems shift just fine it didnt feel like it slipped or anything and I've searched the forum and seems like plenty run it with sucess.

Its really not as thick as you would think or atleast i didnt think it was.

Amsoil gear oil does NOT contain friction modifiers... There is a separate additive to buy that has the friction modifiers in it if you need them. It is personal preference to run it but it wont hurt anything.

Amsoil gear oil does NOT contain friction modifiers... There is a separate additive to buy that has the friction modifiers in it if you need them. It is personal preference to run it but it wont hurt anything.

So its ok to run in the trans?it seemed to like it but i only blasted up and down the acess road behind the house but saturday im going to a local track where itll be ran pretty hard and dont wanna trash the clutch.

"JLSPARKY7"

Im trying to understand this fully so bare with me....

Are you saying thats it basically just an oil with no friction modifying agents therefore not harmful to the clutches?i read on amsoil about if you get chatter to add the modifier but they were saying this in reguards to a rear end.

Im just paranoid and dont want any extra issues and dont like the idea of running atf.