Alba racing a ams

I just bought and installed these. I am pretty satisfied with the quality for the price. The a-arms are +1.5 inches on each side and +1 forward (which the ad does not state for some reason). The kit comes with everything you need and the tie rods are beefy. Another good thing is i didn't have to buy extended brake lines, but i have an 03 with hydro brakes so i'm not sure about 88-02 models

Reactions: Mert
in another thread about these a-arms, it was brought to our attention that the top ball joint is of the 03-06 style with the castle nut only, not the pinch bolt style needed by 88-02 blasters.
an alba representitive went on to explain they include some collar with a slot to be used on the 88-02 models.

just last week i received a text with this picture from one of our members, of what i beleive is that collar ?
FAILED after only a few rides, which allowed the ball joint to pop up and out of the spindle, luckily it happened at a slow speed.

alba.jpg

if that is not the pinch bolt adapter collar, could someone with these arms chime in and explain just what it is ?
either way, there was a failure, and our members deserve to know about it.

in another thread about these a-arms, it was brought to our attention that the top ball joint is of the 03-06 style with the castle nut only, not the pinch bolt style needed by 88-02 blasters.
an alba representitive went on to explain they include some collar with a slot to be used on the 88-02 models.

just last week i received a text with this picture from one of our members, of what i beleive is that collar ?
FAILED after only a few rides, which allowed the ball joint to pop up and out of the spindle, luckily it happened at a slow speed.

Wow... Sounds like big trouble for Alba? Hopefully our member is ok. I forget wasnt their a dispute with something being aluminum, that wasnt about the collar was it?

Wow... Sounds like big trouble for Alba? Hopefully our member is ok. I forget wasnt their a dispute with something being aluminum, that wasnt about the collar was it?

yep, it sure was about that exact collar, if thats what is pictured ?
i just got the text, haven't talked to this member yet.
i'll ask if he'd like to chime in on this

well, I have 03+ spindles. Just got them from Bluesman. That's part of the reason I'm getting these. I just ordered a set. We'll see how it goes

Wow, that could have been much worse. Good thing it happened at slow speed.

I hate to disagree with awk, but since my name is mentioned in this thread, I thought I should chime in. ALL years of Blasters use the pinch bolt type spindle for the upper ball joint. I will agree that the collar thingy seems cheesy.

I just bought and installed these. I am pretty satisfied with the quality for the price. The a-arms are +1.5 inches on each side and +1 forward (which the ad does not state for some reason). The kit comes with everything you need and the tie rods are beefy. Another good thing is i didn't have to buy extended brake lines, but i have an 03 with hydro brakes so i'm not sure about 88-02 models
did you have to use the collars on the upper ball joints?

yes I did , they are working good although I don't have a lot of hours on them yet. From what I can tell in that picture the upper ball joint somehow pulled out of the threaded collar. Mine seems nice and tight but time will tell

I hate to disagree with awk, but since my name is mentioned in this thread, I thought I should chime in. ALL years of Blasters use the pinch bolt type spindle for the upper ball joint. I will agree that the collar thingy seems cheesy.

thats not disagreeing, thats setting me straight :)

I'm really not familiar with the 03+ hydro spindles, as i have KOR converted spindles on both my bikes.
I only assumed they'd be the same as banshee hydro spindles/balls, and that was the reason alba used some adapter collar instead of just using the correct pinch bolt style ball joint.

Sorry but YOU are wrong. Some do NOT have pinch bolt tops and use a ball joint pressed type which causes issues if your spindle is a pinch bolt and your using a reg ball joint, had a few blasters at the same time that had both styles of spindles drum AND disc ALL stock and was a PITA trying to build one good setup between it all

Had 2 disc spindles of each and 3 drum of each style, ill see if i can dig up pics this weekend, almost couldnt build my +3+1 asr pinch style with my good pinch style disc (had just sold a disc set and thought i sold the pinch instead which would have left me with ball joint but i lucked out and sold the ball jount spindle instead)

This I gotta see. Post a pic of a Blaster with stock A arms and tapered fit type upper ball joints. Would like to see it in the parts diagram too. I have/have had an 89, 00, 03, and 05, and I've worked on a few others. All had pinch bolts.

Got my a arms yesterday, everything is good except they dont have grease zurts, so tonight I'm gonna go drill and tap some holes for them.

Got my a arms yesterday, everything is good except they dont have grease zurts, so tonight I'm gonna go drill and tap some holes for them.
let me know how you like those a arms.ive been wanting to get a set but i haven't really found any reviews.

Well, I drilled and tapped the holes for the grease fittings then figured out that the bushings they give you wont work with the grease fittings. These have a steel piece that presses into the a arm on each side and then a springy steel sleeve with a coating inside of it pops into place into that. (see pics below) The steel piece that you press in the a arm is longer than the plastic ones in the original a arms, so it would block off the grease fitting. So.... now I ordered a set of stock plastic bushings and I'm ditching all this steel bushing bullshit.
cCDlWsI.jpg

the only thing you NEED to buy at harbor freight, a cobalt drill set for 70 something bucks with a coupon
EQurrKQ.jpg

y2GV0iq.jpg

I'm working on top of my trash can because I dont have ac in my garage and it was really nice out
mKYdsSK.jpg

4Np0bFB.jpg

brHmAoV.jpg

P3Jdj8T.jpg

Reactions: sk8border4zro