Air scoops.

Blaaster

Staff member
Technician
Jul 18, 2011
eastern australia
Rainy day experiment to see if air scoops increased air flow.

Basic frame mock up before and after fitting of scoops

Poor vids of air flow before scoops

Click on image for vid.

Poor vids of air flow after fitting scoops.

Click on image for vid.

I am now convinced that air scoops hinder air flow.

LOL First you need to add FENDERS to your basic frame mock up and then maybe a hood over the top. then you will see the turbulence that stuff causes! Then properly place the scoops to deflect the air away from the fender and into the motor!

Kudos for trying but this isn't very scientific. I have digital diagnostic psychrometers and vane anemometers with data logging capabilities; some day if I'm really bored I might use them to set up a more precise experiment. Maybe then we can finally decide if a couple fins are cool or not.

That's an interesting read and I can see where your logic comes from that "air scoops hinder air flow."

However there are many other variables that affect the air flow that cools our motors.

Take a look at the trailing vortices in figure 3.27 for example.

The pro air scoop camp agrees with your assertion that: "Air scoops on an air cooled motor would not be needed unless the motor is veiled behind a fairing or similar air restricting structure.." and considers the entire quad with rider to be a restricting structure.

We can bench race about this one all day but the reality is that we aren't going to get anywhere without real world testing. Like I said, I have some tools that could help get us closer to settling this but the information I could gather would be somewhat anecdotal. The best way to study this would be a wind tunnel with smoke streamers, IR imaging, and a way to keep a repatable load on the engine. Until we get an aerospace engineer to step up and do this we will have to make our decisions based on emotion and assumptions.
Air cooled engines have been running fine for longer than we've been around both with and without scoops. Most people just run them because they like the way they look, as long as they're not using my/time and money I care what they bolt to the front of their machines.

Rainy day experiment to see if air scoops increased air flow.

Basic frame mock up before and after fitting of scoops

Poor vids of air flow before scoops

Click on image for vid.

Poor vids of air flow after fitting scoops.

Click on image for vid.

I am now convinced that air scoops hinder air flow.

Look the scoope worked so well it knocked your crocks off..lol..

Either way, if they work or not, i still HAVE to run my left side....

With right bend pipe, i cant run the right side. And my bumper is about level with the engine, causing all my air to be deflected... I think thats the reason my engine runs so hot.

With right bend pipe, i cant run the right side. And my bumper is about level with the engine, causing all my air to be deflected... I think thats the reason my engine runs so hot.

yea I would put that stock bumper on that you have laying around, that big cross is kinda ugly and a huge wind blocker, and why do you HAVE to run the left side?

I kike your bumper, but it probably does deflect some air. I also wounder if not having front fenders allows more air to the motor or if the fenders act like a scoop and causes turbulence and or deflect some air into the motor.

yea I would put that stock bumper on that you have laying around, that big cross is kinda ugly and a huge wind blocker, and why do you HAVE to run the left side?

To get some air on the enigine -.-

I kike your bumper, but it probably does deflect some air. I also wounder if not having front fenders allows more air to the motor or if the fenders act like a scoop and causes turbulence and or deflect some air into the motor.

Thanks, and idk about the fenders... My air scoops would fit with fenders, and the pipe would rub i think

nice test doug !
i'm going to replicate your test with my style scoops, vids to come over the weekend.

I especially liked the ending with the veiw of the new rear goodies I:I

Wow a massive 6 deg cooler, just about the same amount of extra heat that the motor would produce fighting against pushing the extra air.

Wow a massive 6 deg cooler, just about the same amount of extra heat that the motor would produce fighting against pushing the extra air.

I dont think that duds scoops are going do anything but block the air. they are to big and go to far in to the frame, and i think the A-arm's will hit them. What did he do to the bumper?