Air scoop

Yes. From the look of the video the scoop worked. It moved more air past the motor.. What he did was basically set up a blower/fan and had a streamer set up by the flywheel side of the motor, without the scoop the streamer moved a little with the scoop you could see it moving more. So it definetly showed the scoop moving more air past the engine. This was with the fenders on btw..

Yes. From the look of the video the scoop worked. It moved more air past the motor.. What he did was basically set up a blower/fan and had a streamer set up by the flywheel side of the motor, without the scoop the streamer moved a little with the scoop you could see it moving more. So it definetly showed the scoop moving more air past the engine. This was with the fenders on btw..

I cant get Your Attached Image from post #33 to work.

The operative word past the engine, not over the engine.

The question that should be asked is was it the faster air that flowed from over the outer side of the wing or the turbulence created by an arm in the way of the flow.

Food for thought!

The operative word past the engine, not over the engine.

The question that should be asked is was it the faster air that flowed from over the outer side of the wing or the turbulence created by an arm in the way of the flow.

Food for thought!

I did think about that and i also was thinking about my body creating turbulence.
I sat indian style in the same spot, did not feel much wind on my body. I did feel the wind on my arm, but my arm was behind the fender.

There is a large possibility that my arm and body may creating turbulence, SO i did bolt the scoop on and it look just as good as it did in the video.

Just because my test looked good in my garage in front of a fan does not mean it going to work like that on the trails.

I am not saying that scoops are not going to catch air that is available outside the extremities of the bike and direct it toward the motor.

My argument is that the air coming off the inside of the scoop will be slower than if the scoop was not present.

Scoops will defininatly direct air to places where there is air flow lacking.

I am afraid that I am old school and have always, and always will attack the overheating problem on an air cooled motor by correct jetting.

I am not saying that scoops are not going to catch air that is available outside the extremities of the bike and direct it toward the motor.

My argument is that the air coming off the inside of the scoop will be slower than if the scoop was not present.

Scoops will defininatly direct air to places where there is air flow lacking.

I am afraid that I am old school and have always, and always will attack the overheating problem on an air cooled motor by correct jetting.

I guess when adding a scoop your hoping that your adding a substantial amount of air with minimal amount of air speed lost.

I also wounder if im only adding turbulence. Like with the scoop on and off im getting the same amount air but with the scoop off the air flow is running smoothly over the stater cover and holding the paper down, with the scoop on the turbulence is making the paper go crazy.

Overheating is mostly a jetting problem. But a bike running on the hot side of the motors heat range is not. A motor has a temp range where it runs at, but also has a smaller temp range where it runs BEST at.

I will try again.

Attachments

• securedownload-27 (3).jpeg
    securedownload-27 (3).jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 410
Last edited by a moderator:
I will try again.

Nice!! I think scoops like that WILL work because they are NOT in front of the motor blocking the air. They are on the side in front of the fenders deflecting the air that usually hit the fenders and sending that air directly to the motor.

My air scoop is a little big. Gotta have something to put stickers on

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370978946323.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370978946323.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 241
I like how you made it go around the pipe. Just remember, your not trying to make a dam you just want to "try" direct done xtra air that way. Otherwise looks good like the curve to it too.

The air scoop makes it a pain in the A$$ to get to the spark plug! Its hard enough getting to my plug with the over sized gas tank and big fenders. Now i have a scoop right in the hole where i reach my arm in to too get my plug, and i have to reach in front of the scoop and in to a smaller hole.

Not that i should have to change a plug that often, it just makes it a pain in the A$$ when i'm trying to jet my motor and look at the plug.