Air box lid

bradleylynn00

May 1, 2014
Hi I got my 06 blaster reving now.And is it hard on it to run with no air box lid? i have a 130 jet.It runs perfectly fine..i like the louder sound.I just didnt know if im being hard on it at any way? Thanks for help..

Stock carb? Cant be with a 130 main.. Anyways, if your bike was jetted correctly with the air box lid on than it will need to be re jetted with the air box lid off.. you will be running leaner now and risk engine damage.. It could actually be jetted correctly now with no air box lid on but you wont know until you plug chop.. So first things first. plug chop and see where you stand..

stock jetting for a blaster carb is either a 230 or 220 main jet.. Either its hard to see the 2 and you are confusing it with a 1 , or its not a stock Blaster Mikuni carb. Or there is actually a 130 main in there and that's not good..

TE="jus_me, post: 735764, member: 17499"]Stock carb? Cant be with a 130 main.. Anyways, if your bike was jetted correctly with the air box lid on than it will need to be re jetted with the air box lid off.. you will be running leaner now and risk engine damage.. It could actually be jetted correctly now with no air box lid on but you wont know until you plug chop.. So first things first. plug chop and see where you stand..

stock jetting for a blaster carb is either a 230 or 220 main jet.. Either its hard to see the 2 and you are confusing it with a 1 , or its not a stock Blaster Mikuni carb. Or there is actually a 130 main in there and that's not good..[/QUOTE]
Okua

TE="jus_me, post: 735764, member: 17499"]Stock carb? Cant be with a 130 main.. Anyways, if your bike was jetted correctly with the air box lid on than it will need to be re jetted with the air box lid off.. you will be running leaner now and risk engine damage.. It could actually be jetted correctly now with no air box lid on but you wont know until you plug chop.. So first things first. plug chop and see where you stand..

stock jetting for a blaster carb is either a 230 or 220 main jet.. Either its hard to see the 2 and you are confusing it with a 1 , or its not a stock Blaster Mikuni carb. Or there is actually a 130 main in there and that's not good..
Okua[/QUOTE]

Okay my bad Its 230

If you take the lid off then you need to up the main jet by at least 2 sizes and plug chop to confirm.

Although the engine may seem to run perfectly (tends to run like a scalded cat when slightly lean, this is how racers get the edge) a lean mixture will destroy your engine soon.

Last edited:
If you take the lid off then you need to up the main jet by at least 2 sizes and plug chop to confirm.

Although the engine may seem to run perfectly (tends to run like a scalded cat when slightly lean, this is how racers get the edge) a lean mixture will destroy your engine soon.
Okay I will just put it on I dont seem like just taking that off would do anything

So I should get a 232 jet? And I put it on and went riding and I dont have very much power i couldn't hardly get the front wheels off the ground......I took it off and I ripped em off the ground......so taking it off gives me more power??

You are looking at a #250 main jet,can get from Jetsrus. Jets size in increments of 10.

Is the air filter clean?

Is the carb flooding?

Are the float and idle settings correct?

Please list all your mods, and oil to fuel ratio and oil, there may be another reason that it runs better with the lid off.

And do just buy the jet kits, by genuine mukini jets. List any other mods you have first so we can get you a better idea on size. Any port work, exhaust, etc. It does sound like you might have another problem though as blaaster said

And do not just buy the jet kits, by genuine mukini jets. List any other mods you have first so we can get you a better idea on size. Any port work, exhaust, etc. It does sound like you might have another problem though as blaaster said
I took the opportunity to edit the above as your keyboard forgot to type the word " not".

Jet kits seldom if ever contain any usable jets.

It pays to buy the jets singly.

You are looking at a #250 main jet,can get from Jetsrus. Jets size in increments of 10.

Is the air filter clean?

Is the carb flooding?

Please list all your mods, and oil to fuel ratio and oil, there may be another reason that it runs better with the lid off.

Air filter was just cleaned and oiled carb isnt flooding idle is fine I do t know how to make sure its set correctly and I just rebuilt it a couple months ago new oem stator fmf slip on boysey reeds I think thats how u spell it and thats it

Is the air filter clean?

Is the carb flooding?

So I listed the mods what jet size??

Temperature and elevation also play into the mix. not too much oil on filter? 250, maybe 260. If you have a shop close, probably be cheaper than shipping.

Reeds and a silencer alone don't make much difference on the jetting, but temperature, elevation, and your oil ratio do. I believe that higher jets are not gonna help until you find your problem. When you increase air flow thru the engine you must compensate by increasing fuel flow by upping your jet size. If removing your lid (air increase) fixes it than you must be getting to much fuel. If you remove your lid and then up your jet you will encounter the same problem you have now. Where's the clip on the needle?

Reeds and a silencer alone don't make much difference on the jetting, but temperature, elevation, and your oil ratio do. I believe that higher jets are not gonna help until you find your problem. When you increase air flow thru the engine you must compensate by increasing fuel flow by upping your jet size. If removing your lid (air increase) fixes it than you must be getting to much fuel. If you remove your lid and then up your jet you will encounter the same problem you have now. Where's the clip on the needle?
The temp is like 85 and I dont have a problem at all it works better with it off....im not sure about the clip...where should that be...