aftermarket exhaust leaks...

mjgnslngr

Dec 11, 2011
Vermont
www.facebook.com
it seems that every month im re-sealing the exhaust flange to the pipe. as everyone know almost All of them need Some kind of sealant because they leak. does anyone know Why aftermarket pipes come with a flange and require springs, while the stock exhaust is a welded flange???
any benefits to flange n springs over a welded flange???

Wait will the flange being loose cause problems?!?!
no, its tight with a good gasket. i just wonder why design them that way, is there a reason? why cant i weld it and save myself the headache of resealing it every month. the pipe is rubber mounted, so is the silencer but the engine is rigid??? huh? makes no sense unless im missing something...

1973 Elsinore used flange and springs, Banshee uses integeral spigot and springs, my Fat Bastard uses flange and springs but has O-ring in pipe with silicon added for insurance, no leaks. Stock Blaster doesn't make enough powwa to need flexabile ex mount.

oh, sorry. the flange or the pipe to the flange? if its leaking you really need to seal it. like high temp rtv works. i use ultra black, some use ultra copper, same same. just so long as its not leaking. its like having a manifold leak on a car, youll burn a piston. and it also adds to it running like crap.

DMC has a bolt on flange and does take a fair bit of adjustment to get it to fit up.

Been using the DMC heavily for over a year now with not even a drop of spooge.

DMC has a bolt on flange and does take a fair bit of adjustment to get it to fit up.

Been using the DMC heavily for over a year now with not even a drop of spooge.

thats it, im spot welding it in place then ill take it off and do a clean tig. im sooo done with spooge man. it pops a leak after an hour!!! theres just one question; should i cut out the pipe in the flange to open up that area of the pipe or will that screw up the flow????

Personally I would not change any inside dimensions.

Make sure you unplug the electricals before you spot weld it, you don't want to fry the cdi, stator coils or voltage reg.:(

youre intentions are awesome man but, not quite on task...thanks for the info. thats part of my prob is leaks at the flange are killing my performance.

lol whoops i dident read full post. if it leaks where the flange bolts to thed motor, make sure u have ur exhaust dount in, and buy some exhaust gasket maker, cut it out, and bolt it on! that fixed mine! if its leaking from pipe to exhaust, weld a little washer on the flang, and attach a spring to it and ther pipe and use RTV

lol whoops i dident read full post. if it leaks where the flange bolts to thed motor, make sure u have ur exhaust dount in, and buy some exhaust gasket maker, cut it out, and bolt it on! that fixed mine! if its leaking from pipe to exhaust, weld a little washer on the flang, and attach a spring to it and ther pipe and use RTV
thats just it, im sick of using rtv!!!! blah gooey mess!!!

thats just it, im sick of using rtv!!!! blah gooey mess!!!

ohh ok. what u can try is to weld the washer ilike i said, then bang the bottom of the pipe with a rubber mallet and cloth so u dont bend or ding it, and just bang it as far as u can get it into the flange, put the spring on, and run it really rich. ive done that with ok sucess. when the oil and carbon drip down the pipe from the port, it will cool and seal it. its worked for me.

my trinity requires constant attention and re sealing, real pain in the azz, but the power is worth it

and i can't get it into the frame with the flange on the pipe, nor onto the motor while the flange is mounted,
pipe into frame, then flange onto pipe, then bolted to the motor

so make sure you can fit it all in before welding the flange onto the pipe, and that the bolt holes are lined up exactly

the way it sits now, i cant see anything that would be a problem to get to with a fixed flange. the plan is to simply put a couple of small tacks on it, pull it off and complete the weld. its so damn annoying having to deal with the leak! i just cant see any benefit from it being a separate flange/pipe. of course right Now i dont see any but, im sure down the road something will be a deal breaker!!!