Adding grease fittings?

tbrooks

Sep 24, 2013
NC mtns
Alright guys I've read quite a few posts on here about adding grease fittings to the carrier and it hit me to add em to the swingarm mount as well. I've seen posts on here about people that have done it but nothing really detailed. I guess my question really is where is the best place to put em? And also should a guy drill a few holes in the spacer inside the carrier to help the grease get inside of it? I guess thats really not as important as it getting to the bearings. And lastly any where else that should have a zert? Sorry if there is already a thread on this I couldn't find it.

i've added a zerk to every carrier i've been into, and also drill a series of holes into the spacer to allow grease between the spacer and axle. (be sure to clean all burrs, inside and out, from the drilling)
i do not leave the inside seal out of the bearings, i pack them and replace both seals.
my reasoning for the zerk/adding grease is just to keep as much water/dirt out of the hole assembly, and for ease of disassembly if ever needed again.
it is not to keep the bearings lubed, the waterproof blue or red grease i pack in them and reseal has proven to last as is.
i've never had to re-rebuild a carrier i've already done !

leaving the inner seal out, hoping grease from the zerk gets into, and stays in the bearings, and not any water/dirt is a crap shoot at best, IMO

i would/have not added zerks to the swinger pivots, thats just another place for them to break/crack.
the inner end of the zerk ends up right against the outer race of the bearing, how is it getting around that press fit race and into the rollers ?
it takes less than a 1/2 hour once a year as routine maintainence, to pull the pivot bolt, end caps and bushings, inspect the condition of, and manually apply grease directly to the pivot bearings.

Reactions: Markblaster
Thanks awk very informative. When I disassembled my rear end it was dry and rusty, took an hour with sledge to get my axle out, but it was also not well taken care of. I already put the new bearings and seals in the carrier maybe I can get em back out (without damage) so I can do it right. I think if I stick the carrier in the freezer for a bit then heat it they might come out. I'll take your advice on the pivot zerks, I got enough to do any way lol.

Thanks awk very informative. When I disassembled my rear end it was dry and rusty, took an hour with sledge to get my axle out, but it was also not well taken care of. I already put the new bearings and seals in the carrier maybe I can get em back out (without damage) so I can do it right. I think if I stick the carrier in the freezer for a bit then heat it they might come out. I'll take your advice on the pivot zerks, I got enough to do any way lol.

removing those bearings without damaging them is unlikely.
i'd just add the zerk and keep it pumped full of grease and you should be fine.