About to Start a Rebuild

Muggzy

Jul 11, 2010
Orange Co., NY
Hey all,

I could really use some advice. I'm about to tear down a 2000 Blaster that has been badly neglected (will post pics when I get a new bat. for my dig. camera) As far as I can tell, the only enhancements are a DG Exhaust (very rusty), K&N drop-in filter and a TORS Removal kit.

The rear grab bar is broken off, frame slightly bent where the grab bar was attached, oil bottle is cracked, rear plastics are cracked under the seat. In fact, all plastics are S#!T, runs (good sign) and is "rideable" but doesn't idle, tires are shot, hubs rusty, light doesn't work, rear brake doesn't work (something wrong with the caliper) front brakes are worn down and barely functional and that's what I can see just from looking at it.

I bought it as a project for my son and I and so we have a second quad to ride together. I want to rebuild it with a longer, wider stance (maybe +3 or +4) on the swing arm and not sure on the widths front or rear.

This is where I need the advice: What's the least expensive but still reliable way to stretch the bike and widen the back end?

I would prefer to keep it all Yamaha but that's not a necessity

Last edited:
yb200 extends swingers for $125, or you could look around and see what you can find, search the forsale thread here or look on ebay, wheels spacers on the front would be a good/cheap way to woden the front, or if its got the factory front wheels on it you could flip them, that gives you and inch or 2 on each side.....hope this helps

what he said!! yb200 does a great job extending swingers. also, don't run it while it has all of these issues. you will just phuck it up more. get rid of the oil injector and premix it 32:1.

and since it has the dg exhaust and the k&n filter, your going to have to rejet your carb so that you don't run lean. as for width, there are a whole lot of cheap wheel spacers out there.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-AT...orsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1351wt_939 but if your going to ride hard, don't risk it by using spacers and get wider a-arms and a wider axle.

getcha some new tires too. i run 20 in maxxis razr's and they are outstanding. no issues what so ever.

for your idling issue, on the carb there will be a little brass screw. turn it to the left 1 turn or until it starts to idle. that screw is called the fuel air mixture screw.

brakes are easy, not much to say about those.

hope i helped a little

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the leads guys. They will be a BIG help.

I've seen some mention on this forum about using Banshee rear end parts. Anyone know how much is involved in using a Banshee rear axle and carrier? I measured my Banshee's carrier and it's actually narrower than the Blaster's. Anyone got some good pics of the job. I haven't found any on the forum yet. Oh, and the Banshee rear will make hydraulic brakes that much easier.

Anyone do anything with a banshee rear?

Also, I just started tearing this thing down and found some frame damage that's prob not worth fixin. I'm driving to Rochester next week and would love to save some shipping charges. So if you're in New York, between NYC and Rochester and have a Blaster frame they're looking to unload?

Could use some Blaster plastics too, especially the rear.

Anyone do anything with a banshee rear?

Also, I just started tearing this thing down and found some frame damage that's prob not worth fixin. I'm driving to Rochester next week and would love to save some shipping charges. So if you're in New York, between NYC and Rochester and have a Blaster frame they're looking to unload?

Could use some Blaster plastics too, especially the rear.

the shee assend is a bit wider wich is nice, the banshee hydro setup can be had waaay less than original blaster. i think a banshee carrier bolts right into the blaster swingarm

Thanks for the leads guys. They will be a BIG help.

I've seen some mention on this forum about using Banshee rear end parts. Anyone know how much is involved in using a Banshee rear axle and carrier? I measured my Banshee's carrier and it's actually narrower than the Blaster's. Anyone got some good pics of the job. I haven't found any on the forum yet. Oh, and the Banshee rear will make hydraulic brakes that much easier.

i believe i read that u have to add washers between the carrier bolts and swing arm

when u do this let me know because i going the same route

on an 03 -06 blaster, the banshee parts go right on. on 02-88 blasters, they require some work which i do not know what is involved. can/t be much.