A question for the masses

BDBRACING

Jun 9, 2010
FLORIDA
Thought i had all the problems fixed but a new one has arrived. Just got through polishing and painting the engine and frame let it dry and my little boy begs for a ride. So off we go and BAM. It starts acting funny on the bottom end. Give it gas and she is off to the races, let off and she wants to stall. So the whole time we are having to downshift to keep it running. At low speeds lets say second gear on put-put mode it seems to be backfiring. There is no T.O.R.S and we premix. MY mods are k&n filter, air box lid drilled out, gold series fatty and powercoreII silencer, vitos block off, new piston and rings. Mixing 32:1. What would be the correct jet??????

Attachments

• IMG00044-20100920-1802.jpg
    IMG00044-20100920-1802.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 152
we can't really give you a correct jetting from here, but with those mods somewhere between a 260-290 should be about right

That wouldnt be a main jet causing that...the main controls 3/4 to wide open throttle...sounds like your pilot jet is restricted to me! Have you cleaned the jets in your carb? Far as the main size, im running the same pipe & silencer but have the airbox lid removed & a uni filter instead of the k&n...Im running a 270 main & plug chops look good so you may wanna go a lil bigger like a 280 or 290 like brandoz said & go from there!

after cleaning the carb, be sure to set the air screw on the side to 1.5 turns out from seated. you may need to adjust the idle screw as well

i'm guessin, unless you just did all them mods and didnt rejet, but did pull the reedcage to paint it, that you prolly have an airleak at the reed gaskets, better get it fixed, and rejetted before your on here asking for ken oconnors phone number to send it off for a rebuild

Haha its funny you came behind me & posted that brandoz because i was just thinking that after i posted....good lookin out bro!

i'm guessin, unless you just did all them mods and didnt rejet, but did pull the reedcage to paint it, that you prolly have an airleak at the reed gaskets, better get it fixed, and rejetted before your on here asking for ken oconnors phone number to send it off for a rebuild

/\/\/\/\/\ agreed!!!!!!! I:i

Thanks guys. I went through the carb a while back, bbuutt i was in a hurry and wanted to ride. Sounds to me like the classic case of haste makes waste.

Hey AWK, Ive been reading up on the porting and polishing and thinking about getting it done. 1- does it really make that much of a difference. 2- Am i gonna have to do anything else to my quad. And yea i did pull the cage. Good call.

porting will give you forearms like an olympic weightlifter, hahahaaaa
huge difference, and yeah a pipe and a/m airfilter are good starts to compliment the porting/head mods
click ken oconnors link at the bottom of my sig for tons more info and pricing
the only person who will ever touch my motors again, awsome dude, work, prices and service

also, you should hit up holeshotman, he makes and sells an awsome leakdown tester that will find all them pesky airleaks and save you tons of money and hassles
should be in every 2 stroke owners toolbox
and a little hi-temp copper permatex on them intake gaskets will seal 'em up

Thanks brando and awk, you just sold me. Cant wait to get my popeye on. lol. I just think of all the hair pullin before i found this forum. Donations are in order........I:I

OKOK. Just got done breaking the carb down, cleaned it, took the jets out and cant find markings that make sence. The pilot 24ORD, the main has 6135, and the one that connects to the float says 612.6. I just ordered the Pro X 4/042 Series Mikuni Hex Main Jet in 260,270,280,290. Figuered that would be a good start. Kinda confused on the pilot sizes. Any help????? Also took the reeds out and sealed with copper rvt. I hate to admit this but if you look at my engine pic. i had installed vacuum boots on all the plungers sticking out. I know the oil injection one needed it but 2 were (i think) supposed to be open for the float bowl. Caught it when i tried to drain the bowl and nothing would come out. Yall think that could have been a problem too.

yeah it probably wasn't helpin at all. I'm with the rest of these guys. airleak and jetting issues+ those vent's bein capped. ken ported my cylinder for a great price. still haven't gotten it back together so i can't give you an assdyno report.

I need to call him, i checked out his site and would like one of those swingarms he made. Bout how long has he had your jug ???? By the way I like the red injection cover, glad to see some one else with great taste.I:I

FSU checked it dude, looks good. Started to go ahead and do that 4degree advance. That clutch basket and clutches did the trick. thanks again.