A few questions about gas

Ghost

Apr 24, 2013
First, I have been buying yamalube high performance at a local shop and im wondering whats the difference between that and Yamalube 2-S, im looking to buy gallons of that online. Im new to the whole 2-stroke and just making sure i wont buy the wrong stuff for premixing and the high performance stuff is expensive, i know the 2-S is made for injection. Is there any alternatives you could buy at a auto zone or a walmart? Because they are way closer.
If there is a better oil for premix in the same price range?

Next, Is it ok to mix oils? Say i have 4 ounces of yamalube and im adding more of another oil to my 5gal premix. Or even if i have yamalube premix in the tank and add more of another type, would it be ok?

pretty much yeah.. they pretty much all mix to be able to have standard ratings.. if you arent trying to run something crazy like 50:1 and you don't have a super modded quad.. i run 32:1 in everything 2 stroke i have, chainsaws, blaster etc.. its a safe all around mix.. and my walmart only sells outboard two stroke oil.. which can be bad if it is for watercooled engines, kind of heavy for air cooled.. my autoparts stores only sell by the pint.. I found K-mart to be the cheapest, for pennzoil and havent had any problems

It's a good idea to pick one type of oil and stick with it. As for the oil itself, that's not something you want to cheap out on ! Spending the extra $ on quality oil will save you money in the long run, not to mention time and frustration.

I have no problem spending the money, its just what i have access to. I dont drive, so going to walmart or an auto store would be easier than driving 20 minutes to the atv store. Hell, i can even take paths to an autozone. So convincing my mom to drive me go get gas and oil all the time gets hard, but if shes going to get some groceries, etc, its a lot easier to go to walmart and get it all.

Plus high performance yamalube is like $28 dollars a quart i think.

X2 on sticking with one oil. I don't recall and it don't matter but some oils DO NOT MIX which is why you want to stick with one. If you have to switch for some reason at least drain as much as possible

I have 37 years of experience with chainsaws, sleds, 2 stroke bikes and whipper-snippers.
I have made oil related mistakes over those years that ruined engines:
1) Buying cheap oil. It is cheap for a reason.
2) Mixing oils. Worst with Caster oil, but I have had issues with others. Usually sudden fouled plug.
3) Using outboard oil. Made for abundant cooling, it will not handle the heat of air cooled engines.
4) Using 10w30 motor oil "in an emergency". They used to use 30w in the old days but 10w30 is a completely wrong oil. Certain death.
5) Pre-mix in the injection tank. Wrong viscosity = certain death
6) Injection oil as premix. It will work, but there are much better oils for this.
7) Buying oil at Walmart. There may be one premium oil at Walmart, but probably not. Stock Blaster with light duty use will run on that crap, but don't run it hard.
8) Changing ratios. It changes jetting and will lead to failure. Pick a ratio and stick with it. 32:1 is a good recommendation.

Cheap 2 stroke oil is little more than 30w motor oil with some metal scuff additives and blue dye in it. It will not handle heat over 240f and must not be mixed thinner than 32:1 or used in high load, high speed or high heat applications. The supermarkets, gas stations and Walmarts are full of this stuff, go to a bike shop to get the good stuff. You use so little of it, there is little to be saved on shipping it in. I use less than 8 quarts a year on my street driven endure bike. I am sure you do not put 4000 kms a year on your Blaster.

Any of the multigrade oils (10w30, 5w30, 10w40) are pretty much a thin petro oil (like a 10w) with polymer (read plastic) additive to thicken it up to build flow pressure at higher temperatures. This works well with plain journal bearings but roller bearings need scuff resistance from waxes or thicker oils. In addition, there is some evidence that the anti-friction additives cause the rollers to skate and scuff. Don't use these oils in a 2 stroke.

Outboard engines are pretty much all water cooled and lightly loaded for durability. Lakes and oceans have an abundance of cool water and additionally have an ecosystem living in them. Outboard motor oils do not need to survive at aircooled engine temperatures and should not pollute with toxic scuff protectors. Not the stuff for an air cooled hard working Blaster.

Scuff protection is generally provided by some type of metal additive. Different manufacturers use different formulas. Antimony, tin, zinc, waxes or even a bean oil blend. You mix oils and you dilute the additive. 1% antinony or 1% zinc may work fine, but 0.5% of both may not protect. As well, the combination of wrong additives seem to create conductive deposits on the plug. This is probably because the additive is combined with specific detergents to fight plug deposits. A lot of chemical engineering went into that oil, why mess it up?

Less oil = need better oil. I use 40:1 and good grade oil. 32:1 is a good safe ratio to work with if you are pre-mixing. If you have ditched your oil injection pump "because you want the best for your engine" WHY ARE YOU BUYING CHEAP OIL? Good pre-mix oil is generally available at all bike shops and runs from $12-$22 per quart or litre in my area. PAY IT! A quick note on quality pre-mix: it is thicker than cheaper oils and injection oil.

Still running the injector? It is a good system, but still buy a good INJECTOR oil. About $8-$15 a quart or litre in my area. It is a thinner viscosity oil than quality pre-mix (which would likely eventually ruin your engine if used in the injection system)

Do you need a synthetic oil? No. Synthetics are for engines with powervalves. They don't carbonize, but turn to a lubricative goo instead. It would not hurt to use a synthetic and most of the good oils are synthetic these days, but a bean (caster) oil is a fine choice also. Castor builds up a varnish and carbon that actually tends to tighten up a 2 stroke engine. It is still a fine oil to run in an air cooled 2 stroke.

Injector reliability? Most 2 stroke snowmobiles sold here have oil injector systems, as did the last of the street driven 2 stroke motorcycles when I was growing up. I have seen 1000s of miles logged on these systems with no proper failures. The failures I have seen were operator failures. Wrong oil, no oil, broken lines, un-bled installs, dirt, lean out or air leaks blamed on oil pumps. The injection pump was a convenient fall guy for the operators stupid mistake.

Hey Larry's Shee, see you have an Elsinore. I had a 74 back then. I didn't think bikes could ever get any better!

Steve

Never mix Castor oil with any other oil it will cause problems.

My choice, Maxima 927 or Castrol R30, mix at 25:1, jet correctly and smile!

most excellent write up on 2 cycle oil Best! can't argue with 37 years of experience.. granted I run 32:1, have you ever heard anything bad about pennzoil outdoor? It was designed for outdoor aircooled engines.. I have heard nothing but good about it, and it's around $22 per gallon.. I'm also one to be as cheap as possible, I got my blaster for free on the way to the junkyard, and rebuilt it head to toe, with my major cost being 3 sets of tires(new rears and a great deal on 2 sets of like new fronts) and a .040 over bore and piston/top end kit, crank bearings, swingarm bearings. and still have less than 600$ altogether in it.

most excellent write up on 2 cycle oil Best! can't argue with 37 years of experience.. granted I run 32:1, have you ever heard anything bad about pennzoil outdoor? It was designed for outdoor aircooled engines.. I have heard nothing but good about it, and it's around $22 per gallon.. I'm also one to be as cheap as possible, I got my blaster for free on the way to the junkyard, and rebuilt it head to toe, with my major cost being 3 sets of tires(new rears and a great deal on 2 sets of like new fronts) and a .040 over bore and piston/top end kit, crank bearings, swingarm bearings. and still have less than 600$ altogether in it.

I do not know that oil specifically but the cheap $22/gallon is a pretty good indication it is not a premium quality 2 stroke oil. Sounds like a mid-grade stuff like much of the better stuff at Walmart. It will run your Blaster if you don't have too many performance mods and you don't run it too hard.

Go to your local bike shop and look at the offerings from the likes of Motul and Ipone.

Steve