90 blaster won't rev

Coreyrcox

Jul 3, 2014
Kansas
I have a 90 blaster. I got it with no spark, fixed that issue. I have the CDI, stator, and coil wired up only.
TORS has been deleted along with the key ignition.
It will start first kick and idle but it won't rev at all.
The carb is setup to the factory settings and it's all stock.
Any ideas on what else to check?
Thanks.

I have a 90 blaster. I got it with no spark, fixed that issue. I have the CDI, stator, and coil wired up only.
TORS has been deleted along with the key ignition.
It will start first kick and idle but it won't rev at all.
The carb is setup to the factory settings and it's all stock.
Any ideas on what else to check?
Thanks.

This is gonna sound crazy, but did you check to make sure that the throttle cable is hooked up? LOL

When you say that tors has been deleted, did you just unplug it or remove it entirely and install a new idle screw?

If you just unplugged it, take the screws off of the cover of the tors system (where the throttle cable goes into the top of the carb). Check everything inside there to make sure it's working properly and hooked up.

Check all that and report back!

Last edited:
I would start by ripping the carb apart and cleaning everything with carb cleaner and spray with an air compressor. Make sure to take out all the jets, air screw, choke, float...everything. clean it thoroughly and report back![/
QUOTE]

Already been done. All jets were taken out and soaked in seafoam for 15 min.
Carb was soaked in seafoam for around 30 min.
I will redo that but fairly confident that it is clean.

No matter how far open I open the throttle it won't die either.
So I'm not sure what to do. The choke lever being pulled out will kill it however.

This is gonna sound crazy, but did you check to make sure that the throttle cable is hooked up? LOL

When you say that tors has been deleted, did you just unplug it or remove it entirely and install a new idle screw?

If you just unplugged it, take the screws off of the cover of the tors system (where the throttle cable goes into the top of the carb). Check everything inside there to make sure it's working properly and hooked up.

Yes, Throttle linkage is hooked up and everything is working in the tors box.

The only wiring I have on the quad is....coil, stator, and CDI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Throttle linkage is hooked up and everything is working in the tors box.

The only wiring I have on the quad is....coil, stator, and CDI.

That's interesting, the only thing I can think of is either the slide isn't moving in the carb, which you can check just by hitting the throttle as much as it'll go and release it and listen for the "clack" from inside the carb, or remove the carb to make sure the slide is working properly.

I would take the carb apart, remove everything including the air screw, jets, float, etc and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner and blow everything out with compressed air.

Also, check your float and make sure it's at the proper setting which I believe is 20-22mm

I have done
That's interesting, the only thing I can think of is either the slide isn't moving in the carb, which you can check just by hitting the throttle as much as it'll go and release it and listen for the "clack" from inside the carb, or remove the carb to make sure the slide is working properly.

I would take the carb apart, remove everything including the air screw, jets, float, etc and clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner and blow everything out with compressed air.

Also, check your float and make sure it's at the proper setting which I believe is 20-22mm

Just Curious. What does it exactly do when you hit the throttle, Does it bog and die? Does
Just Curious. What does it exactly do when you hit the throttle, Does it bog and die? Does it just stay at idle?
it just stays at idle.
The slide does move up and down, the needle is set to the manual spec.

I have done everything that's been a suggested EXCEPT set float level.
I will take the carb apart again and take all jets and idle mixture screw out agin and let soak an clean them again.
I will read up on how to set the float level in my service manual.

I will also note that this is the second carb I've put on this with the exact same issues from both carbs.
I thought that it was fuel related so I bought another carb.
Same issue exactly.

So I'm not sure what it is.

I will set float level. Does that sound like that's the issue?

I've never had to level a float before in any atv,ATC, or dirtbike I've owned so I'm not sure if this is acting like a float out of level

I am surprised no one else with more experience has chimed in yet. I don't know a lot but but If it were my bike I'd have that throttle assembly completely tore apart. Do you have much play in the throttle?

Hey does it still have the parking brake?

If the parking brake is on it won't let it rev.

No parking brake that I'm aware of. Atleast there is no wiring on the bike other than CDI, stator, and coil wiring.

I've taken apart the throttle linkage and the play is set within spec.
The slide slides all the way up when thumb throttle is pressed.

There is no parking brake wiring in my wiring diagram for this year

Is it possible that it's the CDI box not advancing the spark?

Everything(CDI, coil, stator) is new, but there is no spec to ohm the CDI box.
I get good consistent spark

I can pull the plug and put my drill on the nut that holds the stator on.
It gets a hotter and more consistent spark the faster I spin the motor, so I'm thinking it's fuel related, but maybe not.

What
You could have a blocked pilot jet.

As you will have the carb off to clean it, do a leak test
what does a leak test entail?
How does one perform a leak test.
I cleaned every single jet in that carb with seafoam and a copper strand of wire to clear out all the little ports and such in the jets and also blew all passages out with compressed air, I will be doing this again since it was suggested and it never hurts to double clean it anyway.

Is it possible that the reeds are stuck enough to allow it to idle but won't open upon increasing throttle?

I will try to post a video tonight.
I have the air box off so I can physically see the slide going up and down and you can hear the diffrence in the motor from opening to closeting the throttle slide.
The only wiring on the bike at the moment is stator wiring, CDI, and coil. That's it.
I have the needle set to the 2nd groove from the top. The slide closes almost fully and opens fully.
I had the EXACT same issue with a previous carb.
I really don't know what else it could be.

I will go home and dismantle the carb completely again like suggested and see if that does anything.

You didn't happen to change to a Ricky stator have you? Also did this problem just start to happen or did you do something and it started after that? Ex... like deleting the tors,,,,, Is the TORS deleted correctly?

There is no tors on this quad at all. No tors control box, no nothing.....just the stator, coil, and CDI.

I took all wiring off and wired in the stator, coil, and CDI box only as of right now. Once I get it running right it will have lights.

I'm not being successful at uploading a video.

While at idle it almost sounds like it has a cam in it....like a lope in a 4 stroke engine.

I can wide open the throttle and it doesn't change anything while the engine is running.

I'm not sure about the stator brand.
I bought it with "all new electrical components".

My first thought when I started it up was that the spark is not advancing and there for not increasing rpm.
While running you can see the gas climb up the needle and into the engine but not increase in rpm