'88 blaster no start after carb cleaning

Imacf90

Jan 26, 2016
hey guys, so i'm new to blasters and 4 wheelers in general, but i do have some knowledge on 2 strokes and small engines, which led me to buy this thing.
anyway, i picked up an old blaster. the guy told me it was a 98(turns out its a J, not a W), with a new clutch, new top end, new this new that. its very hard to believe anything he said. he was a very shady man and i caught him in between many lies as i was buying it. i know it was a huge red flag but i didnt care and bought it anyhow. 450 dollars and it was mine. at first it started first or second kick but wouldnt idle. so, i removed the carb and cleaned it out and replaced the seals. i removed the boot to check my reeds and put that back on as well. put it all back together and nothing. i have lots of spark. my carb works fine(i put it on a friends and his started up and idled like new). i cleaned out my fuel filter and i put new gas in it. its getting gas, so the only thing left is an air leak of some kind.
am i right or is there something that i completely missed here? i've ordered a gasket kit, but before jumping to conclusions i'd like to see what people with more experience have to say.
thanks
-Ian

looks like ill be building a leak down tester for the weekend. would it be best to do this before i take the head off and replace the seals? or afterwards?

so i had a massive leak in theintake boot. replaced the seal and it started right up. that leak tester was a life saver. thanks guys

Reactions: jus_me