'86 250r rear shock.... easy fit

suprex

Dec 3, 2007
Nashville, TN
www.suprexmusic.com
well, last night i put my '86 250R reasr shock on.... easy, easy, easy!

the shock was newly rebuilt so i bought it on ebay. i got an '86 because i was told they are one inch longer than stock blaster. '85 and before is three inches longer.

all you need is a 1/2" (I.D.) by 1.5" (length) steel ( or brass ) spacer.

and very importantly... a grinder ( best with a metal cutting blade)

i cut the 250r top shock sleeve to fit snugly between the bolt holes on the blaster.
i did not use the inner sleeve that comes with the 250r shock, because the blaster's top bolt fit perfect.

250Rshock-1.jpg

you can use your stock top bolt and your stock bottom pin.

i cut the steel spacer to fit snugly between the bottom shock mount holes.

250rbottom.gif

i didn't need to add any washers. everything was super snug and nice.
i will get better pics up soon.

it did make my blaster sit up about one inch higher, but it feels perfect once i compress the shock by sitting on it.

so... you cut two pieces of metal... and you are done. well, kinda .... gotta be creative to mount that ressy.

new pics soon.

after riding with my stock rear shock then riding with my new shock. holy balls. no bottoming out! this shock makes my blaster feel like a new bike. it is awesome. i'm hitting 90 foot triples now... hah...more like 10 feet but it feels sooo nice.

i better not ride a real aftermarket shock, cause i will want one.

i just wanted to tell everyone how amazing this shock feels. having an adjustment by thumb is super sweet too. unfortunately, it makes my banshee shocks the weakest link now. the back end feels like a pillow while the shee shocks up front hit kinda brutally. ( still better than stock though)

Last edited:
it looks bent a little but if it works i guess but i still woulden't do it to my 06 i would just the one made for it works quadstar is the one i want

it looks bent a little but if it works i guess but i still woulden't do it to my 06 i would just the one made for it works quadstar is the one i want

well, it is not bent. and the stock shocks are pure gross. you are 14, i am guessing i can a bit more stress on my shocks than you are going to.

and yes, aftermarket would be nice... but i have a house, car, child, and all those things to pay for..

well, it is not bent. and the stock shocks are pure gross. you are 14, i am guessing i can a bit more stress on my shocks than you are going to.

and yes, aftermarket would be nice... but i have a house, car, child, and all those things to pay for..

i hear ya im only 15 but im saving for a car n insurance so i cant be blowing all my cash, the little i have, on my blaster

lol way to go man PLEASE POST THIS IN THE DIY SECTION AND THE DIRECT FIT NOT DIRECT FIT sections exactly how u put it here thank you very much that would help us all out alot!! thanks man way to go!

lol way to go man PLEASE POST THIS IN THE DIY SECTION AND THE DIRECT FIT NOT DIRECT FIT sections exactly how u put it here thank you very much that would help us all out alot!! thanks man way to go!

well, i don't want to double post.

but if an admin asks me to, or moves it themselves, then rock on.

and thank you....

trust me.. this shock kicks so much ass.

ive got the same type shock on mine(04) and my 400ex connects to the swing arm the same exact way, i rode all last season with it and had absolutely no problems..
so GREAT JOB suprex, i gotta say you did a nice job cause i did the same exact thing ..lol