??????????????

mud runner

Jan 19, 2012
leabnon TN
ok iv been trying to get my clutch to work right but i cant seem to get it right ok heres what it is doing the clutch lever is redicously hard to pull back i can barly move it a 1/4 inchand it gets easier to pull back if you loosen the bolts that hold the spring but when i do that it doesent have enough friction to go any where in any ideas whats wrong

check to make sure your clutch plates are on right, the plates have the ruffer side, that goes on and the moother side faces out.

Sometimes this can be the cause.

You might have over adjusted the clutch not adjusted it enough, if you only gettin a 1/4 movement. or do you have new clutch plates and fibers ? Sometimes new plates and fibers can be stiff until it gets warmed up and road a few times.

But the plates might be on wrong and sticking some.

How old is your clutch cable ? its always good to lube the clutch cable ! a older and worn cable can stick and be stiffer and be harder to use. sometimes, wd40 into the cable a few times and work it down the length of the cable can help also.

Sporty

If you use WD40 to loosen up any Bowden cable, the WD40 must be chased out with a light oil.

WD40 should not be used as a long term lubricant as over time it drys up and looses all lubricating properties.

ok iv been trying to get my clutch to work right but i cant seem to get it right ok heres what it is doing the clutch lever is redicously hard to pull back i can barly move it a 1/4 inchand it gets easier to pull back if you loosen the bolts that hold the spring but when i do that it doesent have enough friction to go any where in any ideas whats wrong

Some more info, New clutch with heavier springs? Or old and just started symptoms?

If you use WD40 to loosen up any Bowden cable, the WD40 must be chased out with a light oil.

WD40 should not be used as a long term lubricant as over time it drys up and looses all lubricating properties.
I recall when I was a young kid, they had the wd-40 which was pretty darn good, not its all water down. Lubed well for about 2 to 3 months.

I use boca bearing high speed bearing oil too, its really light and works well.

There is also tons of cable oil and spray on teflon waxes and graphite oil that works well too.

When we were searching for low friction oil in racing, I spent $$ and hours testing a wide range of stuff.

Sailkote works okay too..

Sporty

wait you losened the bolts that hold the clutch springs? if so this is WRONG!!!! you adjust the philips head screw in the middle of the clutch to adjust your clutch possition. You need to pull all the clutch springs and inspect the 3 piece push rod assembly that the clutch actuator pushes to push the pressure plate out. there should be the rod that is attached to the pressure plate, a ball bearing in between them, then a longer rod. you should also pull the clutch actuator out of the case and inspect it also. to remove it you just unhook the cable from it, remove the stator cover and then unhook the spring from the case and it will lift straight up and out. before you do all this though you need to unhook the cable from the actuator and make sure it moves freely. if it doesnt' that could be your problem

wait you losened the bolts that hold the clutch springs? if so this is WRONG!!!! you adjust the philips head screw in the middle of the clutch to adjust your clutch possition. You need to pull all the clutch springs and inspect the 3 piece push rod assembly that the clutch actuator pushes to push the pressure plate out. there should be the rod that is attached to the pressure plate, a ball bearing in between them, then a longer rod. you should also pull the clutch actuator out of the case and inspect it also. to remove it you just unhook the cable from it, remove the stator cover and then unhook the spring from the case and it will lift straight up and out. before you do all this though you need to unhook the cable from the actuator and make sure it moves freely. if it doesnt' that could be your problem

i know it is either the acuator rod ball or its not ajusted right im about to go out there and take the cover off again for the 40 billionth time and ajust it and the cable moves freely

i know it is either the acuator rod ball or its not ajusted right im about to go out there and take the cover off again for the 40 billionth time and ajust it and the cable moves freely

I've been down that road before!

Definetly sounds like an adjustment issue!

I recall when I was a young kid, they had the wd-40 which was pretty darn good, not its all water down. Lubed well for about 2 to 3 months.

I use boca bearing high speed bearing oil too, its really light and works well.

There is also tons of cable oil and spray on teflon waxes and graphite oil that works well too.

When we were searching for low friction oil in racing, I spent $$ and hours testing a wide range of stuff.

Sailkote works okay too..

Sporty
Fyi WD40 doesn't lubricate one bit. It is a water disperser. It's the dissolving materials that make it appear to be a lubricant. They still use the same old formula that has been tried and true for over 50 years. Great for loosening stubborn bolts. Terrible for lubricating.

http://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd+40

ok i got it workn better i can pull it back now but iv got to ajust it a little bit more and i got to ride it 4 feet befor the brake started draggin really bad and it wouldent move