+4mm crank-what does trenching involve?

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
What tools are needed for trenching the cases for a +4 crank? Is this a highly precise job that needs CNC or lathe type equipment, or will patience and a die grinder work? What area of the cases needs to be worked on?

It's a pretty precise job and involved cutting a channel in your case.
The case is where your primary compression comes from.
In other words you only want to remove the least amount of material necessary to fit the crank in.
You are gonna have to send the cases out.
This is the biggest reason you don't see many 265cc Blasters running around.
It's a PITA.

It's a pretty precise job and involved cutting a channel in your case.
The case is where your primary compression comes from.
In other words you only want to remove the least amount of material necessary to fit the crank in.
You are gonna have to send the cases out.
This is the biggest reason you don't see many 265cc Blasters running around.
It's a PITA.
That pretty much sums it up.
Say you had a few spare case's and the time..... maybe...

i charge 100$ for blaster case trenching.

you can trench them a few different ways,you can either bore them or throw them up on a lathe and cut them,those are the most practical ways to do the job.I throw them up on my lathe,i made a jig that centers them up instantly,so a set of cases usually takes me 20-30min

what kind of performance gains are there between 3 and the 4mm....im doing the 3 for sure but may upgrade to the 4 if the gains are gonna be worth the extra couple hundy....sorry dont mean to take over tthe thread either

what kind of performance gains are there between 3 and the 4mm....im doing the 3 for sure but may upgrade to the 4 if the gains are gonna be worth the extra couple hundy....sorry dont mean to take over tthe thread either

No worries, it's a good question, and the motivation behind my question as well.

I don't have an answer.
I'm guessing only a few HP.
With the extra $100 it costs for the trenching it's not going to be a good return for your investment lol
I guess it comes down to how far your willing to go- oh and the braggin rights of having a +4 in your sig is nice ;)

ahhh gotcha....hmmm

exactly what i needed to hear, prolly just go with the 3mm alot less of a headake for the few extra hp that the 4mm will give