4* Timing Advance

djack12

Jun 4, 2008
California
www.blasterforum.com
So I advanced my timing 4* and now it seems to bog on the top end. If i am it climes the band quickly, and then just bogs down. When you shift and go to WOT is does the same thing. Any ideas? Can the timing advance cause this at all? I am lost. I thought it was a jetting thing, but its not.

Thats what i was thinking. I dont really notice a difference with it so if it is causing problems just undo it. We both did it together and now we are both having the same problem. Mine you cant tell as much as you can see in that video we posted.

i have never got a straight answer about it. ill remove it. the only thing that sucks is i cant ride at my house so i have to work on it and then trailer it to a place to test it. then the place is muddy and i hate a muddy quad in my garage, so i would have to wash it. i wish one of the builders were on to talk to them.

try leaning the needle out one clip adjustment toward the blunt/flat end and report back

just undo it.. lol..

agreed.

I've read on here it supposed to give you a tad more mid range power, but you lose low end and high end or something like that. I did it awhile back but after reading people ruining their engines at WOT on it I put it back and personally my quad seems to run alot better on stock timing.

timing advance increases mid range power and if it reduces bottom end power it's nominal. you don't maximize the full power potential of your engine w/ the stock timing. as for your wot stumble, djack, you say you checked the plug and it's a good color, but did you pull the plug at the main circuit? if your bike was idling when you cut the engine off, then the plug will only read the condition of the idle circuit. you HAVE to do a chop at WOT to know if your main jet is correct.
advancing timing tends to make a slightly lean mixture detonate much more readily so if your main was just a little too lean, it the advanced timing would make it seem like it's REALLY lean.
do a chop at wot and see what the plug tells you. 4+ timing is a good thing if you get it tuned right.

i did ct it off at WOT. i made sure to do that when i loaded to up on the trailer. im going to try a few things and let you all know what was going on.
as far as it being to lean on the man, i dont think thats the case. the only reason i say that is because i thought it was to lean before the timing advance, so i went to a 158 main. that was to rich. then i worked my way pow to a 152. i will rev all the way up, but under load it is bogging.