250r vs 450r shootout

Good article IMO. Seems like a pretty honest comparison... Although they forgot to mention the hassles associated with kickstarting a cold 450r. You'd better kick it firmly and deliberately if you want that big 4-poker to come to life. Plus, they kick back like a mule if you get lazy. Lol. Plus, that hot start lever is a PITA because it either works on the first try, or it causes the engine to flood and you're left to kick and kick until it clears out.

I'll take the 2 stroke engine any day. I don't care how far the 4-stroke engine evolves....Its still full of valves, guides, valve seats, and a cam chain which will wear out along with the piston and rings. Dirt Wheel's rebuild cost estimates are off...it costs WAY more to build a worn-out 4 stroke.

Good article IMO. Seems like a pretty honest comparison... Although they forgot to mention the hassles associated with kickstarting a cold 450r. You'd better kick it firmly and deliberately if you want that big 4-poker to come to life. Plus, they kick back like a mule if you get lazy. Lol. Plus, that hot start lever is a PITA because it either works on the first try, or it causes the engine to flood and you're left to kick and kick until it clears out.

I'll take the 2 stroke engine any day. I don't care how far the 4-stroke engine evolves....Its still full of valves, guides, valve seats, and a cam chain which will wear out along with the piston and rings. Dirt Wheel's rebuild cost estimates are off...it costs WAY more to build a worn-out 4 stroke.

they need to bring back the 250r

they need to bring back the 250r

I agree, but its not going to happen, at least by Honda. Honda's employees have their heads so far up their butts they can't even process legit warranty claims on products they already build. To say nothing of introducing a new groundbreaking 2-stroke race quad into an already saturated market. Sorry, but I work for a Honda power equipment dealer, and the company in general has a very stuck-up attitude. No other brand we sell is as difficult to deal with when it comes to talking to company reps.

I'd like to see a new Yamaha or Kawasaki 250 2-stroke race quad enter the market. Hell, let's see Yamaha stick an EFI version of the Banshee's engine in a current YFZ 450 chassis. See how fast something like that would sell...

Ummm, how about a KTM 2 stroke powered quad?
I can tell you it is a whole handfull of kicka$$, without the $$$.

Steve

179929_10151004899645803_1323573367_n.jpg